Review by The Beekeeper

"Intriguing game that you'll probably enjoy"

We all know that the Adventure game industry is in shambles. And on the very, very rare occasions a new addition comes along we want to embrace it if for no other reason than to influence more to be made. That said, Syberia is a solid effort. Despite its flaws, this game does have heart even if it seems a bit contrived.

Graphics:
Very pretty game. Some animations are awkward (running up stairs and turning around) and (on my computer) it sort of jerked into the few cut scenes in the game. Despite that, the cut scenes were impressive. The settings in the game are gorgeous from the mountain scenery to the inspiring architecture. Seeing those automatons at work is quite a joy as well. (7/10)

Sound:
Nice musical score that adds to the atmosphere, but it crescendos very randomly which can cause confusion. It also can muffle out conversation sometimes if it’s turned up too high. Voice acting and sound effects are quite good. (8/10)

Gameplay:
Easy, but with clever puzzles that work well in the game. The conversation interface is confusing and many times you won't know what you're going to say until you say it. Aside from the important characters, there are very few people in the game which was kind of sad. I had fun playing through Syberia, but it was too short! There's no incentive to play through again. (7/10)

Story:
Quite original. It makes you care about the characters and you'll want to know what will happen next. But, in the end, you'll be wishing there was more. If you like to feel like you're ''saving the world'' in an adventure game, you may want to stay away from this one. Nice effort though. Watch how Kate's cell phone conversations change as time goes by. (7/10)

A lot of people have been mentioning The Longest Journey when talking about this game, and I feel obliged to do the same. For those of you who have played Longest Journey and are looking for a similar gaming experience, you will probably be a bit disappointed. Then again, for those of you who have yet to play Syberia and The Longest Journey, I would suggest you check them both out. In order to get the most out of both games, however, play through Syberia first.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 09/29/02, Updated 09/29/02