Review by revolver1987

"A must for fans of Infinity Engine games"

Intro
IceWind Dale 2 is a Forgotten Realms RPG set in the Spine of the World, one of the most fun areas of Faerun ^^ You take the role of brave adventurers from the town of Luskan who come to Targos to make some money by fighting invading goblin armies. The rest of the story is for you to discover.

Graphics
Ok, I have to admit, the Infinity Engine is getting..well..old. To quote PC Gamer, its creaking with old age. Once again, the backgrounds are all of excellent quality, though a tad worse than those in Baldurs Gate 2. The character graphics really hurt me. In Baldurs Gate 2, they were a lot better, more colorful, yet here they seem bland. The character portraits on the other hand are amazing, and you should be able to find one that fits your style. The spell effects are nice and crisp, the menu screens are tolerable, and the icy backgrounds look sharp and crisp. The reason I give it a 9 is because this particular setup suits the game well..it just feels right, with the cold and snow. You will see when you pay it.

9/10

Sound
This is my last rant about the game. The sound effects are...not very noticeable. They sound good, but there is not a lot of them. What allows me to give it a 9 is the music. The music rivals almost any other music in an Infinity Engine RPG. THe quality is excellent, and the melodies suit the mood of the game, which is excellent all in itself without music.

9/10

Gameplay
10 out of 10. No question about it. if you like RPGs, if you like messing with different character builds, different spells, magical items, you cannot go wrong with this. With lots of races, sub races (Including the Drow, Gold Dwarfs, Shield Dwarfs, humans, etc), lots of character classes, the ability to raise your character up to level 30, the ability to multiclass during any time, 3rd edition rules, a huge collection of magic items with descriptions longer and better than those in Baldurs gate 1/2, over 300 spells, tons of skills/feats,and the ability to solo the game,create all 6 party members, or 3 party members. Its up to you. Not to mention the Heart Of Fury mode which pumps up the difficulty and increases magic loot and exp.

10/10

Conclusion
For fans of the original ID, for fans of Baldurs Gate 1/2, Torment, even Diablo, this game is like a dream come true. Almost everything I ever wanted in an AD&D game is here. Almost perfect 3rd edition rules, awesome music, character creation that one could literally spend an hour on, and so much little surprises along the way, well, if you buy this game you shouldn't be disappointed.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 12/13/02, Updated 12/13/02