Review by hamhamninja

"Great if you like the constant fighting."

Intro.

After just playing Icewind Dale in July, I could not wait for Icewind Dale II. I looked at the skills and feats list on blackisle.com and I thought that Icewind Dale II would be way better than Icewind Dale. But when I finally got it, I was kind of disappointed.

Gameplay 7/10

This is where I was a little disappointed. When I first started playing and I was making my characters and selecting their skills and feats, I thought that this game could be the best RPG ever. But I was wrong. The battle system is well done and I liked all the ways you could customize your characters, but when I got further into the game I got really bored and stopped playing sometimes because the battles were not fun and felt worse than Icewind Dale. It would take me all day to just complete a couple quests and sometimes the quests were not even hard to figure out and were just straight-forward battling through a really long area. This game is really difficult and long.

Graphics 8/10

Okay, I know some people think I am crazy giving this game a good rating for graphics but I think that hand-drawn graphics are good and still should be used. The game plays really smoothly and the magic effects are really good. The game never crashes and there is no lag at all.

Sound 8/10

Great! Better than Icewind Dale. Icewind Dale II has probably the best music and sound-effects I have ever heard in a computer game. But there is one big problem. The music turns off every time you enter a building and when the music is done, its done, unless you reenter the area. But the great music makes up for it.

Story 8/10

The story is better than Icewind Dale, but not much better. There is lots of plot twists and the bad guys are really cool.

Replay Value 9/10

Heart of Fury mode is good but not as fun as the first time through. The game is really long (took me a little more than 80 hours, but I did all of the quests) and I don’t think I want to play through again for some time.

Should you buy it

If you are into RPGs or like the Baldurs Gate/Icewind Dale games then you should definitely pick up this game. It is fun but can get boring at times but if you stick through the game and beat it then you will be very happy you got it.

Final Score: 8/10