Review by fangboy

"So much to do in this little MMORPG!"

What a great accomplishment for Square-Enix, I will never get tired of this game and I will tell you why.

Graphics:10
Oh wow, the graphic texture is so nice no matter what resolution that i'm in. It is so nice to be able to customize your own character to make him/her look how you want. Also if I feel that the game is running choppy, I could turn off some of the features in-game. That's convienant! The game looks even great if I set the texture compression to high and adjust it to work on a computer that barely meet the requirements. It still looks wonderful!

Music & Sound:8
Ok, I could understand how hard it is to make a MMORPG's soundtrack without making the track seem repeatative and old after awhile of listening to it. But apparently Final Fantasy XI's soundtrack doesn't feel old at all, I still enjoy listening to it after 14 hours of gameplay.
The only thing I really didn't like is the lack of sound effects that was used in this game, I could hear music... well mostly music, barely any sound effects except from attack sounds.

Controls:9
The controls are pretty hard to get use to in the beginning for me, especially since I used one of the customizations that they offered. But after I got use to it, the game went pretty smooth.

Gameplay:10
This part is BIG, bigger than big.. It's great! There are so much to do from fishing, gardening, questing, and chocobo racing. The leveling isn't so bad either, I got plenty of skills that I earn through leveling up my weapon and class. If I ever got sick of playing on a certain class, I could always change it to something else anytime at my Mog House with NO CHARGE. Now if I want to play something else besides Final Fantasy XI, I could always pay 1 extra dollar to play Tetra Master, which takes a long time to master but really easy to learn.

Overall
Despite the large amount of hard drive space and system requirements that is needed, I think it's well worth it.
Certainly you'll put more time and effort into the game that it will make you forget the entire installation and requirement process.

Buy?
Absolutely! just 2 hours of this game got me hooked and I couldn't stop playing, except time off for school work and regular work. But soon I found myself never wanting to return to the real world ever again.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/31/03