Review by XxRagnarokxX

"Your Newest Review"

HI.

First off, I am here to state and ONLY state my opinion. I am not here to completely either praise, or bash, this game. So before flaming me on the message boards, avoid your strong urges to start flame wars, and read.

The Good:

For almost everything about this game, there is good graphics. Every time you walk somewhere you will notify yourself of the wonderful graphics and scenery that this game has. You will probably be more aware of the graphics if you have made your own RPG in the past, and once you notice how hard it is to manage graphics, you will see what square has to go thorugh to bring you this entertainment.

The Bad:

For the most part, you won't have any difficulty with the graphics unless there is maybe lag, or the monsters may look kind of blocky OCASIONALLY. Your character may appear to be skipping as you run through towns or other crowed areas. This is probably the biggest and only problem you will encounter in your adventures in Van'ediel.

The Good:

Honestly, SE has never had a problem with producing good songs or gameplay effects having to do with sound or anything related to it. The parts that do have music are breath taking and refresh myself of what a great job they did making this game. I just wish that they would have put more music in the game. For the most part the battle music is great, as it changes in many different areas. The only thing i don't like about it is when the music changes in the middle of battle, when you change parties. Obviously this is only a small issue.

The Bad:

The reason i gave sound a lower score than i was going to is that there is not a full music file. Areas that are often big have no music, just sonund effects. No one wants to walk through a giant feild with nothing, no sound, or anything besides fights to occupy themselves, especially me. The sound being good, this is the only problem i have with the sound in this game.

I love the gameplay in this game. I have nothing bad about the gameplay to say so therefore i will exclude the headings for this section.

You will explore many places in the world of FFXI, and you will encounter many adventurers, do many quests, and have many things to do. You will never get bored of this game, since it is a MMORPG, there will ALWAYS be something you can do. Whether it is crafting, leveling, or doing quests to get fame, you will way never find a way to be bored. This is the main reason why any people abandon other video games for this one.

The game has many characteristics that make it feel like you are in the game. The realtime battle system allows you to keep on attacking, instead of seleting it form the menu, which makes it more realistic. You will find that every where you go you will find something more interesting in terms of gameplay. Square also added in the effects of rain and thunderstorms, as well as time. This makes the game even more realistic.

Replayability/Replay Value

The Good:

As a previously stated, you will never get bored with this game. This is UNLESS you have completely done everything there is to do, which is highly unlikely and has only been done by some players who have been playing for years. Even then, they have not done every single thing to do. SE tried to increase Replay Value by making you start leveling again after you change jobs, to avoid boring concepts. You get to start over as a new adventurer and exlpor the abilities of each class as starting new. If you ever get bored of one task, simply move on to antoehr. There is always leveling up. Also, Crafting.

The Bad:

Some people think the game can be rather repetitive. I don't see how, as to the many things you can do that i previously stated. Younger people tend to get bored easily of this game unless they have been playing RPG's for a while.

Final Reccomendation/Comment

I think this is a wonderful game. Though time consuming, it is still one of the best games i have ever played. You should be considered lucky if you receive this game as a gift, since many of us had to buy it with our own money. If you were to recieve this as a gift, most people would not return it because of it's great replay value. But even if you chose to return it, you wouldn't be able to since your registration code would have already been revealed to you.

As I said, to me, this is a great game. I am not here to praise or bash it. I hope many of you feel the same way. Any game that can make me look forward to playing at any time of the day is a great game to me, thus allowing me to give this game a 10/10.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/04/04