Review by faz

"Save your money"

I have waited for a game like this for a long time, but I was disappointed. This game gets boring fast and could have been a lot better. Characters from the movies are in the games to help you manage the park even though some of them died in the movie versions. I was hoping you could build the park like in the movie where a safari car runs through the entire park and that the visitor center already included shops and restaurants. I was also hoping for more ways to torment your visitors, like being able to pick them up (like in Roller Coaster Tycoon) and plop them into a T-Rex pen. Overall this game isn't too bad.

Graphics/Sound/Music: 7/10

This was the best part of the game. The graphics and attention to detail are excellent and the detail of the island, visitors and dinosaurs look realistic. I think this is where all the money and work was put into in this game. The only music I really heard was the Jurassic Park Theme. The dinosaurs sounded realistic, and the announcements (like when a storm is approaching) were a nice touch.

Gameplay was pretty good but the controls just sucked especially when there was a disaster. Driving the jeep wasn't to bad but it was hard to stop in time to avoid hitting the small dinosaurs that run out in front of you and then all your visitors complain. Piloting the helicopter was just as bad, shooting the raptors was extremely difficult and using the harness to rescue people there are not enough curse words to describe that. When running the park you need to assign dig teams to find fossils and amber in order to create new dinosaurs. You start of with one site and can access more by increasing your park rating. But you can only unlock three sites so you can't have every type of dinosaur in your park. For your visitors to see the dinosaurs you have to place attractions like viewing vents, towers and domes, as well as a safari and balloon ride. Being able to view the attractions and driving the car was really cool. My favorite one would be the balloon ride. A fun part of the game was the missions. The missions included taking photos, rescuing people, helping herbivores and terminating carnivores.

There isn't much in terms of a story you just build and manage a park. There are missions and exercises but they don't include much of a story either.

My closing comments are to not waste your money on this game unless it's like $10. I bought it for $40 and I regret it. It's not that it's a bad game but it's just not worth it.

My overall score is 5/10

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 10/22/03

Would you recommend this Review? Yes No
Commenting is anonymous and not required to vote.