Review by GCN4Life

"Excitingly Difficult"

Command & Conquer: Generals has quickly become my favorite Command & Conquer game, as well as the single game I have had the hardest time beating ever. However, this is not a bad thing. Replay Value is very high, and that is something I like.

The environments, units, and structures are surprisingly detailed for the amount that are on the screen at once. I love all of the graphics in this game and would not change anything if I could.

The graphics are one of the weak points of the game as well. You need a beast of a computer to run this game. Luckily, I happen to have one. You however, might not, and you may end up shelling out not only $40-50 for this game, but $200+ more for some more RAM and a GeForce 4.

The gameplay is wonderful. If you liked the gameplay of any other C&C, you'll love Generals. The 1 player game is shorter than usual, but there are 3 sides to even that out.

The sides are slightly unbalanced, with China being a bit too powerful, GLA being too self-sufficient, and USA being either underpowered or overexpensive. However, you can beat any side with any other side (I just haven't figured out how to do that yet).

New gameplay additions include many upgrades, which are purchased from buildings. Units are now bought at their production centers instead of a universal toolbar. Units can be upgraded a lot too. You also gain experience as you kill enemies. This experience can unlock secret units, superweapons, and powers. Individual units can become stronger as well. Each side has a balanced amount of units, but not necessary balanced in all areas (air, land vehicles, soldiers)

Replay/Value: 10/10

There is a ton of replay to C&C: Generals. You can also play online with the great built in system, but you MUST have the patches first. However, don’t worry, because there is a built in auto-installer for patches.

Buy/Rent/Steal: Buy it. You can't rent it, and it is worth the price of buying. Don't pirate or steal this game, or else they won't make an expansion and/or even out the sides with a patch, and then I’ll be mad.

Overall 10/10

This game is great but it is very difficult and you may find it hard to run. It sure is fun though.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 02/25/03, Updated 02/25/03