Review by pancakes771

"I don't understand why so many people don't like this game..."

Everyone's had that thought... "If I were in charge of a theme park, what would I do with it?" This game lets you start from scratch to build your own rides, layout, and themes of your dream amusement park.

Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 deserves a lot more positive attention than it receives. It seems like each time a sequel is released, everyone expects a massive overhaul of features, material, and gameplay. However, what isn't broken shouldn't be fixed. The first RCT was a very fine game. Sure, it had a few flaws, but the overall gameplay was extremely addictive and enjoyable throughout the whole game. So how does Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 compare?

During the first 30 minutes of playing this game, if you're new to the series, you may feel out of place with all the buttons and controls. It seems to be the curse of all PC strategy games. After the initial confusion, though, you realize how easy it is to do what you want and how well organized the game actually is. Roller coasters and other customizable rides are now equipped with more features, making it easier to convert an idea into a profitable attraction. Managing your park staff is also significantly less bothersome and easier to do than in the first game, though still not as efficient as I'd like to see it be. Overall, however, you probably won't find any major problems with the gameplay that will keep you from enjoying the game itself.

Graphics/Sound: 6/10
Unfortunately, this is one of the only areas in which the game lacks quality. When compared side-by-side, RCT2 is nearly identical to its predecessor. Not that these graphics are bad, per se, but they leave much to be desired. The sound seems to have been revamped, to some degree, but after playing for an hour or two, the crowd's noises begin to sound repetitive and roller coaster screams get downright annoying. There is a new feature, however, that lets you add different music to rides. You can choose from over 20 unique styles of music to fit the ride's atmosphere. That single feature alone brings a lot of ambient noise to the park, which is always better than just the far-off chatter of the crowds.

Replay Value: 10/10
Personally, I've had this game for over 7 years and I still keep it around. I love this game so much, in fact, that when my original game disc became so worn it wouldn't play, I went and bought a new copy just to play it again. If you're like me, you won't play this game for months and months. When you do finally pop it into the computer, though, this is all you'll be doing for a week straight. If you get bored with the 30-some-odd scenarios built into the game, you can even start fresh by building your own scenarios and choosing the rides and attractions you, personally, would like to use. This game really does let you build your ultimate dream park.

Recommendation: Buy
Since this game is a bit older now, it may take some calling around to different electronics stores or ordering the game off the internet to find a copy, but you'll be pleasantly surprised to know the price is low. I bought Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 with the Time Twister Expansion Pack at Best Buy the other day for just $10. That's it. A high-quality game at a bargain-bin price? Sign me up.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/17/08

Game Release: RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 (US, 10/15/02)