Review by JCMoney

"A good follow up to a great game."

Rollercoaster Tycoon, one of the most popular PC games in the past few years finally puts up its sequel. The game boasts over 150 rides and attractions, a rollercoaster designer, scenario designer, and several new themes. But, probably the most popular feature is the addition of the Six Flags liesnce, which includes over 25 Six Flags rides, and 5 different Six Flags Parks.

The graphics haven't really changed much at all since the original RCT, with 2D environments and people. Although the close-ups of the rollercoasters look a little bit nicer, which is visually nice. There isn't much to talk about in the graphics department, but that doesn't really affect the fun factor of the game.

The sound is again the same kind of stuff as the old game. One thing I really like though, is the way you can change the music being played on the ride to fit your theme. To add to the fact, is the ability to input your own music files into the game. This is great to try to get the authenticity of Batman: The Ride by adding the Batman theme music to the ride. (The Batman ride isn't included in the game because of the DC Copyrights, although the design, or at least something like it is included).

The gameplay is what makes the game. It defiantly fits into the ''easy to learn, hard to master'' class of games. My little brother has no problem picking up the game and building a cool ride. But for me, after hours of playing, I still can't beat some of the advanced scenarios. Speaking of scenarios, there are tons of them, ranging from easy ones where you inherit a castle and have to make it into a small theme park, and get x amount of visitors in x amount of time, to extremely hard levels that give you unlimited funds on huge lake environment, with an objective of 2100 guests without having your rating drop below 700.

Is this game a must have? The answer depends. If you own RTC, you might feel cheated because there aren't that many major updates. The game is substantially better than it's original, but with things like a 3D Walkthrough mode absent, many believe this game could have been an add-on. But, if you don't own RCT, then there is no reason to take RCT over RCT2. If you're looking for a fun game to play, this game is for you. If you're into theme parks and rollercoasters, there is no reason for you to pass this up. And if you're a huge fan of the original, I advise you to pick this up. With only a $30.00 price tag (some have found it for as little as $20.00), this game should not be over looked as a fun game that can be enjoyed by people of all ages.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/20/02, Updated 10/20/02