Review by jasmith

"A Mediocre Sequel"

Rollercoaster Tycoon II isn't bad...but it's not good either.

After buying this, I rushed home, read the manual, and popped it in my PC. I loaded it up, a bit upset that my old saves from the original Rollercoaster Tycoon weren't going to work, but undaunted nonetheless. I was greeted by a bleak sight. The cheery intro of the original was gone, and was replaced. This ersatz intro was filled with tired, unhappy people. Was this a sign of things to come?

I clicked on Start A New Game and chose the crazy castle scenario. Finally, something to smile at flickered on my screen! This scenario was based around a beautiful castle that I found impressive. Getting my hopes up again, I began to play and explore the new game. It didn't take long for me to be disappointed again. Where was the mute button? The finance button? Where could I research new rides and attractions? Although all still there, they had been moved to hard to find places.

After playing this game a few days, I came to the conclusion that this could have easily have been an expansion pack. If they had made it an expansion pack, I could have also kept my saves! All those rollercoasters and rides I spent hours on...gone. Why? For this? A game so similar to the first it didn't deserve to be called a sequel.

On the positive side of things, there are some new rides that I enjoy, although most of the ''new'' rides were in the original in one form or another. There are also loads of new shops for your guests to enjoy.

My favorite part of this new Rollercoaster Tycoon is the scenario editor. The game purposely came with very few scenarios, instead they provide you with a scenario editor! You can now easily create new scenarios and parks for your guests. You start out with a blank grass map and to it you can build rivers or lakes, hills and cliffs, trees and scenery. Then you get to choose what attractions the player starts out with and what has to be researched. You can even set the order new rides and shops are researched in. Then you can decide the details and objectives of your park. Do you want your guests to be poor or rich? Thirst or satiated? You can decide what kind of weather this park should have as well. Lastly, set the objectives. You can make a win based on how many guests you have, your park value, and a few other ways.

There is also a rollercoaster editor, but I didn't find much use for that.

Gameplay - 9/10

Story - n/a

Graphics/Sound - 5/10 This would be higher except for the simple fact that it looks exactly like the original.

Play Time/Replayability - 3/10 The only thing that makes me still play this instead of the original is the scenario editor.

Final Recommendation - Honestly, if you have the first one with all the expansion packs, don't waste your money. There are too many things taken out to make up for the new. But if you've never played RCT before, then buy this.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 10/29/02, Updated 10/29/02