Review by GurraJG

"NOT a good sequel."

As someone who has played the original RollerCoaster Tycoon and the expansion packs, and liked them very much, I can say that this game did NOT live up to my expectations. The main reasons for this are that the game is too short and not enough new features were introduced. Which, to me, is just sad. I really did think that this game was going to be good, but no.

This game uses pretty much the exact same graphics engine as the original RollerCoaster Tycoon. For those not familiar to those graphics, here is a summary: they are NOT the best. You could think that this game was released back in 1996. But, as most of you should know, graphics DON'T make the game. I actually have nothing against the graphics, but compared to today's games, I can't give it any higher than 6. So, if graphics makes the game for you, this is NOT the game for you.

This is one of the things which actually improved over the original. The new sounds include such things as better Roller Coaster train sounds and totally new sounds for new rides. But, remember, there is NO background music. But, your Carousels and such will provide sufficient music. But, after a while, things will get a bit repetitive. So, if you desperately require a lot of heavy metallic rock, this is not the game you'll want to play.

Controls: 9/10

What controls? You use your mouse, that's about it. While you may think that's bad, it's not. It all makes the game play much more accessible. And fun. Instead of having to worry about twenty thousand different buttons, you can do about anything with one hand.

Game play: 10/10

Here is where RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 really shines! The game play in this is one of the best there is. You simply click, click, click. It couldn't get simpler. And yes, that IS a good thing. I like games that are easy to play, and this is one of them.

The main objective of RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 is to build a theme park. You build Roller Coasters, Carousels, Farris Wheels, and what not. Then you have to set prices, provide bathrooms and food to your guests, keep the rides running, keep the paths clean and constantly build new rides. And that is what make RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 so much fun.

New Features: 3/10

New features? You've got to be kidding me! There are no new features here!

Okay, yes there are, but not many. Aside from some new features like automatic ride placements over paths, some new rides and stalls, there isn't much more. It almost makes you want to call this game RollerCoaster Tycoon 1.5. When I buy a sequel, I expect new features. But here, I just don't get them.

But, however, there are some new features which ARE good. Namely, the Roller Coaster Designer and the Scenario Editor. The Roller Coaster Designer allows you to build custom Coasters without the constraints of money and park scenery. It's a really nice feature. The Scenario Editor, is… um… well, a scenario editor. It basically allows you to make new scenarios, define park boundaries, starting money and what not. However, the only bad thing is that you can not create rides. To do that, you have to convert your saved games into scenario files.

Scenarios: 4/10

Another low score category. There are only 20 available scenarios. And, that bad thing is that all of them are short and already unlocked. That's right, they are already unlocked! Unlike the original RollerCoaster Tycoon, this version does not require you to unlock any scenarios. And, to me, that removes an element of excitement. When I played the original, I always wanted to complete a scenario so I could get a new one. But here, that element is removed, for the worse. Of course you could make new scenarios in Scenario Editor, but it's just not the same. And, another thing which bugged me are the “Six Flags” scenarios. It just seems like Chris Sawyer just sold out in an effort to make more money. And, not only that, but the Six Flags scenarios are BAD. Just, bad.

Replay Value: 3/10

This game simply does not have a high replay value, mainly because of the lack of the “unlocking element”, as I like to call it. And, the Scenario Editor and Roller Coaster Designer can't add more then a few hours. It sad, really, as this game could have become great.

Conclusion: 4/10

This game could have been some much more. But, it's not. The lack of scenarios and new features are the main reasons whey this game failed so badly. If you are thinking between buying this or the original, buy the original. If you already have the original and the expansions and have completed them, then you may want to but this, but don't get your hopes up, because you WILL be disappointed at the lack of new scenarios and features.

Once again, the final score is a poor 4/10.

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 05/15/04