Review by headbanger

"Fans of GTA 3 should definitely give this game a try."

Introduction
Grand Theft Auto 3 is one of the most popular games of its type out there. So, naturally, expectations were high for Vice City when it came out. I believe Vice City fulfilled most of those expectations. Read more to find out which.

Vice City has better graphics then its predecessor. The PC version of this game has better graphics then the console version, but not as much as you would expect. However, the graphics are more then adequate, so they most likely will not matter at all. The fun of this game more then makes up for the mediocre graphics.

Music and Sounds: 6/10
The music is great, as you can customize the songs the vehicle's radio plays. On the contrary, the sounds are mediocre. They are just simple, fairly realistic sounds that grow to be rather annoying and repetitive after playing this game for a while.

Controls and Gameplay: 7/10
The controls are easy enough to pick up on, and the gameplay is rather simple and smooth. However, both are a little flawed here and there (such as mistakes in trying to make it look like a realistic town). However, both are above average and enjoyable enough as it is. The gameplay has improved since GTA 3, and the controls are customizable, both of which work to this games benefit.

Difficulty: 7/10
To just beat the game is rather too easy. But to get 100%, you really have to work at it, and that takes some time. Unfortunately, there is no middle ground to this game, which can be rather lame and disgruntling at times. Other then that, I see no real flaws with the difficulty.

Map: 6/10
By map, I am referring to the layout of the city in which the game is set. It isn't as good as its predecessor, for reasons that I cannot put in to words... you just have to play it to understand what I mean. However, the map is decent, and, although it can be annoying at times, it is still pretty good.

Fun Level: 9/10
Ah, yes. The one attribute of a game that matters more then the rest combined. Fortunately, this game is not lacking in this crucial area. Vice City is so much fun to play. Even if you don't do the missions, you can still mess around all you want in the game's town for hours on end. This game is very addictive, and, if you are at all like me, will play it non-stop for hours.

Replay Value: 10/10
This game is fun just to screw around in. You can drive cars around, do all the side missions, go on killer rampages, mess around with the codes, you name it. This game just doesn't really get old because there is so much you can do in it.

Is it better then Grand Theft Auto 3? I don't think so. I also don't think it's any worse, either. They both have their pro's and con's. Nevertheless, this game is just hella fun to play. It's addictive as ever, and has a replay value that is extremely hard to match. At least rent this game and give it a try. It's loads of fun.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/29/04