Review by kenjo63

"A good game, made even better."

I gave this game a nine for its great graphics, excellent music, and unique game play, however I gave it a nine only because the changes in units from the first one where very minimal.

GRAPHICS: 8.9/10.0
The graphics of Battle Realms And Winter Of The Wolf are exactly the same (sorry, the expansion made no graphic changes). Which means the graphics is spectacular and smoothly made. The details are also something, you note small things like wrinkles on shirts, and blood on swords after battle. The environment too is something ubi should be proud of, it is very realistic, and it has rain, snow and even animals in the forest. I would have to say it has one of the best graphics I have ever seen in a strategy game. But I only give it an eight for the movie graphics are just like game graphics witch is a major downside for the game

SOUND: 10.0/10.0
The sounds of the game are great, from environment sounds that sound like you are there, to hundreds of battle sounds witch adds to the realism of the game play. It has exiting music that just stirs you up in a battle.

DIFFICULTY: 8.3/10.0
The settings easy, normal, and hard difficulties in the game don’t do much, its all pretty much even in level so you could play in hard and think it its easy. I gave this game an eight for difficulty for it seems to be fit for most players.

GAME PLAY: 10.0/10.0
The game play of Battle Realms is one of the best I have ever seen; it is unique from all the other RTS's I have ever played. First of the way you train and harvest is totally different, second it has very fast game play for players could only make limited men, and third it is turtle free because, A: you always need to fight to be powerful B: you could only build very limited defense structures. The game I also unique in a since that there is no uber unit witch could crush a base easily (unlike most games today), even a lowly 1st level soldier could one on one with a 3rd level one, and win! :P

REPLAY VALUE: 8.8/10.0
I must admit that the campaign is short, cutting playtime drastically, however the multiplayer and skirmish functions make up on it, you could never be bored playing. As an added bonus it comes with a map editor witch boosts playtime.

OVERALL 10.0/10.0 (I wish it could be a twelve)
It has great value; best game i've ever played and it will make you play for months no RTS compares to this. No Battle Realms fan should be without this and if you’re not familiar with Battle Realms get it anyway.

Please buy what maybe the best RTS of the year, it’s worth every buck. And thank you for reading this :)

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/24/02, Updated 11/24/02