Review by Shaboogie25

"A good game, but missing something."

Well, everyone saw a game coming for Lord of the Rings as soon as the movie came out. Everyone hoped for a game that would be so awesome, it would be a legend in it's own way. Well, we now have the Fellowship of the Ring, and well, its not quite a legend. It was a great game, kept me interested, and it told everything from the books unlike the movie which cut out some points that really made the books great. Lets take a look at some of the different points of this game.

Graphics - 8/10
The graphics in Fellowship are quite good. Nothing extraordinary, but they were done well. The character models during play are very smooth and quite detailed, which make good points. Cut-scenes look very good, and can sometimes really pull you further into the game. There doesn't seem to be any slow-down, as far as I have seen. The environments are rich and detailed, and make you feel like you are there with the Fellowship on their quest, or making your way out of the Shire. The graphics were quite good, but not exceptional. Overall 8/10.

Sound - 7/10
The sound is also quite good, but I sometimes got a feeling like there was no sound. Maybe it was my TV :) The voice acting is very well done, and it matches the characters great. The voices don't seem out of place, and it is believable. The sound effects are good, but again I can't really say that I heard much of them. It seemed like a quiter game for some reason, again it could have been my TV or just me. The sound is good, but I would like to hear more going on. Overall 7/10

Story - 10/10
I won't go too much into the story because I wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone, but I have to discuss a little bit. This story is one of the greatest I have ever read, seen or now played in my life. The story tells of a hobbit's journey to destroy the One Ring that will allow a dark lord to rise to power and enslave the Middle-Earth once again. There is a vast range of characters, each of different races including Men, Elves and Dwarves. The story is epic, and has everything you can ask for in a story. There is battle, love, sometimes humor, bravery, and anything else you want. One of the greatest stories ever told, Overall 10/10.

Gameplay - 7/10
The gameplay in Fellowship seems to be more mission based than a straight-foward RPG or action game. You are given a set of objectives to complete in the area you are on, and you must obviously complete them. Objectives include everything from selling your house to finding your hobbit friends to much more dangerous things. You will start out playing as Frodo, but you will then switch to Aragorn and Gandalf in later levels. Each character has their own traits and unique styles, which you may sometimes feel that you didn't get enough time with each. You will play as a character for a level, then switch to another, than another, which can sometimes throw you a bit off balance and can affect the way you play. Playing the game is fun, and it offers a variety of things to do. You will be battling Orcs, collecting items, and even meeting some of the most famous characters from the books. Good fun, but lacks something. Overall 7/10

Replay Value - 6/10
There isn't really any reason to play the game again, except for enjoyment. There are no special secrets to unlock by beating it or doing something special, just the satisfaction of doing it. I would play through it a few times, because it is fun and its Lord of the Rings :) So there is basically only replay for fun. Overall 6/10

Buy/Rent - Rent
I would definitely give this game a rent, even if you are not a fan of Lord of the Rings. It will provide you with fun, enjoyable gaming that will keep you interested the whole way through. If you enjoy the game after renting it, you can always go out and buy it to play it more.

Overall Score - 7/10
The game was good, I enjoyed it, and it has such a great story. I feel like it misses some points in sound, and it lacks something in gameplay. Hopefully they will fix some of these things in the sequel :)

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 03/11/03, Updated 03/11/03