Review by Haddes911

"Is this a thorn in your eye?"

The World Wrestling Feder...excuse me, Entertainment owner Vince McMahon started his idea for Monday Night RAW back on January 11, 1993. Who could ever forget the show that was main evented by The Undertaker Vs Damian Demento, with the ''great'' undercard of Shawn Micheals facing Max Moon, The Steiner Brothers Vs The Executioners? Yes, I sure know I did. Over time, there have been several games to use the WWE's RAW or Warzone name. Does this game live up to the status that Vince McMahon once was able to give to his show during the beloved Monday night wars?

System Requirements
Operating System: Windows 98, XP, ME
CPU: Pentium III 500 Minimum
Memory: 64 MB RAM, 128 MB required for Windows XP
Graphics Card: Nvidia TNT2 and GeForce 1, 2, & 3, ATI Radeon 7000, 7200, 8500, Matrox G450
Sound Card: 100% Direct X compatible sound card is required.
CD-ROM: Quad speed IDE or SCSI CD-ROM
Input: Keyboard or mouse required, Gamepad/joysticks are supported.
DirectX: DirectX 8

Not too much to ask? Right? Moving on now.

Graphics
Without a doubt some of the best wrestling game graphics you'll ever see. However, every game has its exceptions. Certain wrestlers, like Triple H, look very peculiar. His face just looks wrong. But a few flaws are bound to happen in every game. The only arena is the now old RAW set. It looks very nice as well. Everything has a very well put design from simple wrestler models to the intros. This game is what should set the standards of future wrestling games.

Sound
Nothing special as always in wrestling game. The themes are a bit outdated, but so is the main roster. Lillian Garcia announces the wrestlers to the ring, however that's basically one of the few times you get some crowd reaction that doesn't happen in the match. The wrestlers grunt and make ''thuds'' during the matches. When weapons hit the forehead or back, they'll make there proper sound. All standard wrestling game stuff in this bad boy.

Game Play
Smackdown, eat your heart out. This game blows anything that Yukes or Acclaim has done recently. It's more simulation then arcadey. Only thing I have a trouble with is hitting finishers since I'm playing using my keyboard. This games game play is going to only get better just as AKI's engine did. The wrestlers actually stay down once you hit them, take some notes Yukes. The animations look proper and not super fast or sloppy. Acclaim, take notes. Got it? By the way, there is a training mode.

Modes
Lack luster part of this title. Other then the normal run of the mill single, tag, triple threats, battle royals, and hardcore matches. There isn't really much. There's a Championship Mode which will remind most of you of the WCW Revenge Title Mode. This time you go through Women's, Light Heavyweight, Hardcore, European, IC, then World. And what do you get for beating all of them? Why for the World title you unlock Vince McMahon! For The Hardcore? You unlock Shane! And finally, yes you guessed it for the Women's you unlock none other then the worst writer herself, Stephanie McMahon. This leads you to ask about the Euro, IC, and Light Heavyweight Titles. Well, sorry to say. They bring you nothing, however if you beat all the title modes you unlock the greatest sports entertainer of all time, Fred Durst. During matches, you'll also be randomly unlocking new clothes for the CAW but more on that in a second. Ah yes one more thing, there is a King of the Ring in there as well.

Create a Wrestler
Nothing special. But then again, think of the possibilities on a computer? It's possible to replace some of the in game music with some of your mp3. Hell, if you're patient enough you can update the titan trons as such. Everything has a nice layout in the CAW the only downside is the appearance of you wrestlers and even that isn't that bad.

Should I buy it?
Let's say this, I was skeptical as hell at first too. $30 isn't a sum of money you want to exactly go and throw out the window. It isn't an update from the X Box version from what I've read (I don't own an xbox and have never played RAW for it). So if you own RAW for X Box, I wouldn't recommend it. If your curious like me, and own an X Box. Do a favor and rent it. However, if your a PC gamer like me. I don't think you can go wrong with this title.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 10/30/02, Updated 10/30/02