Review by whitestripes

"Football management simulation at one of its best"

The next game in the of the excellent Championship Manager series. Amidst some bugs, this game bring football management to all we football fans like no other game before. This game is a huge step forward from the good old days of CM2 and 3.

Gameplay

Obviously, this game only appeals to football fans all around the world. Only we can truly appreciate the pressures and difficulties of managing a football team. And the solid gameplay engine brings that and more to the fans. The largest database of any football management game; from the Spanish Primera Liga, to the USA Major League Soccer to Singapore’s S League, you can play multiple leagues at a time. Even more, the amount of detail in the game is frightening. Contract negotiations, Scouting options, player’s stats are just some examples of how realistic and accurate the game is, compared to real life. However, the amount of bugs is, shall we say, disappointing. I shall not go into detail here, but the bugs can easily be fixed by downloading an enhancement pack from Sigames.

Graphics
Nothing much changed over from CM3, the layout of the game is still the same, with the main screen in the middle, and option buttons on the left. The background can be changed and the layout can be altered by downloading and installing skins. But the addition of a new 2D match engine provides some fresh preferences for players. Although it may slow the game down, it does provide a brand new perspective for the players. For the first time ever, you can look at your players as the go about strutting their stuff.

Sound
There’s nothing much to cheer about for the sound in the game. This only comprises of match sounds – of the crowd cheering. That’s all.

Replay Value
Infinite. You could, in theory go on playing the game, until your players all retire and their offspring go on to emulate their forefathers and play for you. One word of warning though; this game is very addictive, and you will want to go on and keep on playing it forever.

Scores.
Gameplay 9/10
Graphics 7/10
Sound 5/10
Replay Value 9/10

Conclusion
This game is highly recommended for serious football fans only. So called football ‘fans’ who can decide whether Beckham plays for Man Utd or is an UK singer should steer clear. Seriously, this game does not really expand nor contract the genre. Future games in the series would only be data updates, with fixed bugs. One last word though, I’d advise anyone interested to download the demo from Sigames first, try it out, then decide for yourself whether to buy it. I did.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 06/13/03, Updated 06/13/03