Review by Lord of Hate

"This seems like a patch, not an expansion..."

Introduction
Battlefield 1942: Road to Rome, an expansion to a pretty good game. So what's it like, does it have lots of cool stuff? Is it worth the 20$? These questions can hopefully be answered by my review of the game.

The Good
There are a few good improvements issued by the expansion pack. There are 8 new maps, each with new strategies and layouts for players to explore. A few nice new vehicles, including planes and tanks, but no new vehicles like motorcycles, gunned jeeps, etc. Then there's the new teams, the French and the Italians, both with their own cool voiceovers. Not bad, not bad, right? Well, unfortunately, that's about all the expansion included. So onto the next section.
My rating for this section: 7/10

The Bad
There is really nothing super impressive about this expansion pack. The levels are a nice addition, but they can easily be downloaded from the official website, or other locations on the web. The new vehicles, they are fairly nice improvements, but the apparent lack of new vehicles is depressing. There are mods, such as Desert Combat, which offers a larger variety and IMO, better vehicles than the expansion pack. I was truly hoping to see a motorbike, a helicopter, a cargo plane, etc. I was also disappointed by the lack of new naval units, which I had been hoping for dearly. Unfortunately, I was let down, but not like you care anyways right?. The new weapons are fairly...bland, for the lack of a better word. The pak 40, for example, is like a defgun for the ground. Sure, that's all fine and dandy, and it is nice, but where are some innovative weapons, such as a flamethrower, or a mortar? I was extremely disappointed by the apparent lack of new weapons. So here's the basics, onto the next section.
My rating for this section: 3/10

The Question
So, is it worth the 20$? Is this game really any good? I say absolutely nothing out of the ordinary, a perfectly average game. I honestly don't see why not, but only if your looking to burn some extra cash, there are far better games out then this expansion. I also believe that you could find this full package downloadable in a week or 2, as it is not a very large add-on. It will provide you with about an hour of entertainment. IMO, don't waste your money.
My rating for this section: 5/10

Conclusion
Battlefield 1942 is a great game, but I truly don't feel this expansion is worth the time of purchasing. But I do recommend Battlefield 1942 by itself, your missing out if you haven't tried it.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 02/19/03, Updated 02/19/03