Review by jandro100

"Amazing game, with some minor flaws."

Battlefield 1942 is an incredible series of first person shooter war games. The games are intense, have decent graphics, and pack the huge multiplayer potential that will keep you playing long past campaign mode.

The graphics are not out of this world, but they’re not terrible either. While they are the typical EA style , the vehicles and weapons look realistic even if the faces and explosions don’t (when a tank explodes it jumps, spews several objects, and turns black). The fluidity of the graphics was decent on my computer, however I’m certain they would improve if my graphics card was better.

Sound: 7.5/10
While the main theme song is catchy, I found that the sound during the game kept messing up on my computer. However the voices were rather well done as each nationality spoke in their own language or with a distinct accent. Another thing that I liked was that you could actually hear the bombs incoming.

Game play: 9/10
The game play is very addicting. All of the campaign missions are capture the bases, but online you can pick from a variety of victory conditions such as capture the flag and team death match. However the basic mode of capturing bases (that act as spawn points) is actually quite enjoyable.

Another part of the game that impressed me was the vehicles. They all handled nicely with a realistic feel. You can also customize the controls to use a joystick for flying the plane, or I suppose a controller if you wanted to use one. Road to Rome also added some new vehicles and armies that enhance the game play.

The one thing that really annoyed me in the game, was that if you jump off the roof of a small building, or get thrown in the air by an explosions, you can pull your parachute to land safely.

Single Player: 4/10
The computer players in this game are incredibly stupid. On my first campaign I played easy mode and the campaign got incredibly boring because the computers didn’t do anything. Even at 75% difficulty you can still run up to a computer and kill it with the knife! Furthermore 100% difficulty is not very challenging either. They should have seriously considered making the computers more challenging for the expansion pack.

Multiplayer: 9/10
This is where this game really shines. The multiplayer is incredible for the most part with tons of variation. My complaints for multiplayer are the following
-most servers require” PunkBuster” (I don’t have it installed but supposedly it cause a lot of lag)
-lag
-controls mess up, this may be related to lag but online it seems that when I try to switch weapons it doesn’t work (though on some servers it does….)

Replayability: 9/10
While single player gets very boring very fast, multiplayer is always fantastic.

Rent or Buy: I would say buy. Battlefield Vietnam is now out though, so if you have the $40 CAN I would buy it, but if not you could probably buy this for very little.

Overall I have found this game to be very enjoyable. I am anxious to see what Battlefield Vietnam looks like though, and to see if they corrected the few (but annoying) errors they made in the amazing Battlefield 1942 series.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 03/30/04