Review by AKMoose

"It came with Windows, and I'm glad it did."

Packaged with my Windows were five games: Solitare, FreeCell, Hover!, Hearts, and Minesweeper. When I first played Minesweeper, I didn't know what I was going, got mad and didn't play the game for months. Then, one bored day, I tried it again, and took the time to look in the help file. Basically, you've got a panel of blocks. You need to determine where mines are. You left-click to check. If there's a mine... YOU LOSE! If none are touching, it sets off all those around it, with numbers saying how many mines touch it. By using logic, you use the right button to flag mines. Simple enough.

Graphics - 7 out of 10. For a basic game that you get free, it's very nice. The numbers are different colors, giving it at least a little variety. But the real reasons I like the graphics are that: A, it's hard to get conufsed, B, the sweet smiley. It smiles are you play, has x's for eyes when you lose, and puts on shades when you win. I like smileys, I don't know why. But that's enough to add 5 points to the score, in my book.

Sound - Well... there is none. But you could do them yourself. You plant a flag... THWIP! You hit a mine... BOOM! But only if you don't mind odd looks from nearby people.

Story - Man, I used up all my jokes for this review in the ''sound'' area. Sorry.

Control/Gameplay - 10 out of 10. It takes about... hmm... one minute to learn. And a lifetime to mast... no, this isn't Othello. But anyway, I explained everything up there. It's fun. A little frustrating, but oh well. Once in awhile, no matter how hard and carefully you play, you'll have to guess. Playing for a few minutes then being put in a 50/50 chance of losing can suck, but it's only a few minutes, so I can't really detract it for that. It keeps you playing!

Replay Value - 9 out of 10. The only thing to turn you away is one of the aforementioned forced guessing situations, but other than that, it's a game you'll want to play until you've beaten all the difficultly levels. Plus, you can set up custom games, from impossible to beat to those you'll win with one click!

Overall Score: 8 out of 10. It's not a game that'd work on any other system, except for maybe GameBoy or a handheld or something, but for a basic computer game, you could do a whole lot worse.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 07/09/00, Updated 07/09/00