Review by Psycho Penguin

"A very entertaining game, good time killer"

Introduction

I have never really owned a PC, but I have enjoyed a few PC games over the years. Most of the ones that I have played have ben featured on school computers, so as you may guess my PC game playing experiences have been rather limited, due to the fact that the school computers really don't feature that much games. However, there was one game I used to play a lot in my first hour computer class.

That game was Minesweeper. Minesweeper might just be one of the most unique games ever made. There really isn't much to talk about in the game, as it is a lot like Tetris in basic concept. Basically, all you do is try to gain points without hitting bombs. I'll explain more in the gameplay section. This is a very fun and addictive game.

Graphics (8.2/10)

There really isn't much in the way of graphics in the game. All there is really is a basic grid with multicolored numbers. I did like the little smily on top though, and laughed as it changed faces. It was a very cool part of the game, as it was funny to see the little smily face change faces depending on the situation you were in.

Otherwise, the graphics are decent, there are a few main things graphically, mainly the fact that there are bombs and flags. The bombs look okay, and the flags are basically red with a decent shading of black. Overall, the graphics in the game are okay, there is really nothing special about the graphics in the game.

Music and Sound Effects (N/A)

Yes, there aren't really much music and sound effects featured in the game, so I am just going to skip this section and move on. I will say that I wish there was music and sound effects in the game.

Gameplay and Control (8.2/10)

Minesweeper has a basic premise to it, but a lot of great games have been made based on simple premises (Tetris, anyone?) The basic point of the game is to click on squares on a grid. There are bombs planted throughout the grid, and you had to make sure to avoid the bombs. You could also click on certain squares which would eliminate a whole section of the grid. You also get a choice of three difficulty levels, each increase in level increases the size of the grid.

The cool thing about it is the fact that the same grid never repeats, which means you will be playing a whole new game every time you click ''new game''. Yes, the same grid never repeats. This adds to the replay value greatly. The control is decent as well, as you use the mouse instead of the keyboard. Overall, this is a fun game with good control.

==============================
Other Important Scores
==============================

Replay Value: High

The game would not have good replay value, had it not been for the fact that you never play the same game twice, due to the changing of the grids every time you start a new game. Also, the game can prove to be quite addictive at times, like Tetris was. Overall, the replay value in the game is great.

Challenge: Hard

This is a very challenging game. There is a lot of difficulty involved in finding out what squares to hit, because it is more of a guessing game than anything else. I did have a lot of trouble in the hardest difficulty, as the grid is huge! Overall, this is a very challenging game.

GOOD POINTS
-----------------

-Simplistic gameplay equals great fun
-The graphics are simple and kept to a mininum.
-That smily face.

BAD POINTS
--------------

-This game is very challenging.
-It might be a little too simple.
-You may get bored of it quickly.

Overall (8.3/10)

Simplistic, yet fun, Minesweeper is a fun game. Play it today!

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 07/06/00, Updated 07/16/01