Review by Cerno

"Great game when you're bored"

Well Solitaire is one of those card games that never stop being played. Currently Solitaire is shipped along with just about every computer out there with other games such as Minesweeper, Hearts, FreeCell, and possibly 3D Space Cadet pinball. There are the basic games that everybody will play and probably have played.

There are possible other games that you may have on the computer as well such as Internet Hearts, Internet Backgammon, Internet Checkers, Internet Reversi, and Internet Spades with a possibility of Spider Solitaire thrown into the fray as well. But I won't get into those as we're talking about Solitaire!

Solitaire is a game where you try to well, it's hard to explain, but that's why it has a help file! The help file says that the object of Solitaire is to use all the cards in the deck to build up the four suit stacks in ascending order, beginning with the aces. It's not that hard to learn how to play this game and you'll probably understand after playing a few games.

There are a different number of difficulties such as drawing either one or 3 cards from the deck at the same time and well that's the only difficulty there is I guess. It hardly detracts from the fun that this game produces.

You can also do a scoring game where you try to make the least moves and do it in record time. Try to beat your previous record!

At work you won't likely to have any other game out there except for maybe browser based games like Runescape. Have you ever walked around an office looking inside cubicles? You'll likely see at least one person playing Solitaire. People are naturally bored all the time and they need something to do. At a cubicle job doing work is boring, probably boring the extent that a person may, I don't know, stop working for a while. During that time they may either fidget with a pencil or play a number of games on the computer. Solitaire is one of those timeless classics that that particular person will likely to play and enjoy.

When I was younger we didn't have all these fancy computer games that we have now although the games back then were pretty fancy at the time. I didn't bother buying any games as my parents won't allow it and plus I can't work for money. I didn't get an allowance or anything so the majority of the time that I spent on my computer was either one Minesweeper or Solitaire as back then I had an extremely terrible computer compared to the one I got now and those two were the only games that I was given. I would spend hours at a time playing Minesweeper and Solitaire. I played Minesweeper more than Solitaire though as my parents didn't like Solitaire and I liked playing against them with high scores (7 seconds on 10 mines!). Whenever I get bored of Minesweeper I would play Solitaire.

Now, however, I have gotten over Solitaire. I have probably spent more than 300 hours on this game alone throughout my life and that's probably a really low estimate. I haven't played this in a while and I have become quite bad at it. I used to be a master. Well the nostalgia made my write this review for this game.

So the final verdict on this game is that it isn't really bad for its time but it certainly is bad compared to the 3D games of today. I would probably never forgo a chance to play another round of The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion to play this but I may still go back to it from time to time so that I may teacher my very younger sister how to play this. Hey kids got to start somewhere right?

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 05/09/06