Review by PIW

"Extremely Addictive - but some serious flaws"

I've always been a fan of Football Manager games, ever since Premier Manager 95 on Mega Drive (or was it 97?), and although I have still yet to see a Rugby Union manager, which would capture my heart, I still feel a great love for football ones.

Story:

Work it out. You're a manager, and you've got to take your team to the top. You can be anyone from the giants of Man Utd, Barcelona, Juventus, down to the tiny teams, such as Worthing, Brighton and Hove Albion and Lewes (I live near them all!!). Anyway, you choose your name, and your team, and then you control the team.

Gameplay:

Completely menu-driven. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing, it can be quite monotonous. There are lots and lots of things to do, from picking the team, to buying new players, to contracts, to everything that a real manager does.

However, one thing that really annoys me is how the board always refuses things that you really want. Whenever you ask for your stadium to be made bigger, they say no, whenever you ask for more money for transfers, they say no.

I swear, there's almost noting you can do. I was playing as Brighton, and I had the same balance as my brother, who was Man Utd (£46M), and he had £32M available for transfers, and I have £1.7M for transfers, and I asked my board for more, and they said no.

In addition to this, there are two really important things (in my opinion) that are missing. And that is commentary and highlights. It's all very well seeing text flash up showing ''WARD SCORES!!!'' (Ward is me, who I created in Editor), but it would be so much more fun to watch me doing it, as John Motson and Steve Tyler talk along to it, shouting and screaming as it blazes into the back of the net.

Apart from this, the game is extremely fun and addictive. You can't resist coming back to it, and playing more and more, trying to push up your league position to first, and get world glory.

Visuals:

Nothing to say here, it's all menu driven.

Sounds:

My sound on the game is broken, but even so, there's not much to speak about.

Replayability:

This game is so addictive. You keep coming back and back to it. You go on playing. You want the glory, you want to win, you NEED to get the glory, you NEED to win. It's a drug.

To Rent/To Buy:

Buy, definitely, apart from the fact that you can't rent PC games. But seriously, this is a great game, despite the lack of highlights and commentary.

8/10 - If only they had Highlights and Commentary then it would have got an easy 9, possibly a 10, but a great game none-the-less.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/26/02, Updated 05/09/03