Review by robbiedbee

"One Amazing Game!"

This game had me rooted to my chair for weeks. I wasn't without its flaws, but in a nutshell, it is the greatest football management sim ever.

Graphics: N/A

Okay, so there aren't any actual graphics in the game, you don't get to see the actual match, but you read it. A match consists of many one-liners. For instance, ''Beckham passes the ball to Veron'', ''Veron rides the tackle from Nesta'', ''Veron was brought down by Stam'', ''The Man Utd players call for a penalty'', ''The referee say's play on''.

On the menus, the graphics (the text) are clear and bold. There are downloadable fonts to add to the 2 already on there.

Excellent, there are many leagues to play in. You can go as far and wide as the J-League. The gameplay is very deep. During squad selection, many things have to be taken into consideration, not only stats, but form, opposition and even team mates have an effect on a player’s performance.

The tactics system is very flexible. In addition to the traditional ''position select'' method, things such as team instructions, marking, forward runs and set pieces. Certain tactics are better than others, however, play the same tactic over and over, and the computer controlled managers will begin to ''crack'' your tactic. Realism is one of the things that really impressed me about this game.

Players themselves need to be handled carefully. They can become distressed or annoyed following your actions. Deprive a high-profile player of first team action for a while and he may request to be transfer listed. This however works both ways. Defend a player from the media or praise him following a good performance and he will grow to like you. This is important for things such as transfers.

You as a manager can gain a reputation. There is basic reputation, how good you are compared to all the other managers the world has to offer. Then, there are hidden ones. If you sell many players, you may gain a reputation as a disloyal manager and could dissuade players from joining your team in the future.

Lifespan 10/10

Unbeatable! It takes a long time to be the best and beat the best. Then, when you have done that, you will want to do it all over again. Play as a good team, like Manchester United or Roma, and it will become boring after a few seasons, but play as a lower division team, and you will be so proud of their success (if they get it) you will not want to leave them alone. I have had game last until 2030. I have read other people have gone much further.

Don't get me wrong, this is no easy game to master, but I can guarantee you will enjoy every moment of Championship Manager 01/02.

Flaws

The game can become irritating. You can be losing match after match and you won't know why. If the computer wants to beat you, it will! This unfair nature however all adds to the realism at the end of the day, though. That's life, that's football!

This game is ideal for any football fan. Fans of the previous Championship Manager games will not be disappointed, the new features such as player comparison are great additions to the previous versions.

Bottom Line, this is one game you won't want to miss!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 04/04/03, Updated 04/04/03