Review by Ofisil

"2 Words: Play. Doom."

Corridor 7 is a FPS developed by Capstone Software. Corridor 7 uses the Wolfenstein 3D graphic engine and to say the truth is pretty much the same deal. It isn't original, it isn't innovative and it isn't fun…

Story: N/A

Not much of a story, at least in game and to say the truth I didn't expect one that's why there is no score. Basically it's your run of the mill kill-the-alien-invaders kind of game.

Gameplay: 3.5/10
ReplayValue: 0/10

C7 takes Wolfenstein aaaaaand… well to say the truth it doesn't really add anything new to the genre At first I thought it was a more “Survival Horror” kind of game, with less enemies, less ammo and a good, creepy atmosphere. I was wrong. This game is just Wolfenestein with significantly less action going on. The purpose in each level? Shoot the bad guys. That's it, just shoot the bad guys. In fact, on a lower difficulty setting you can skip killing most of them, (unless you care about the score), and just kill a couple of creeps, go back to the starting elevator of the game and move on to the next level. Weapons aren't anything special either and the same goes on for enemies, they are just some meat bags that come in a couple of different flavors.

Design: 6.2/10

For its time, C7 looked quite good even though its graphic engine was quite outdated at the time. It had a very nice atmosphere, almost creepy at times. Was it the overall darkness of the game, the feeling of isolation it created or the flaming, screaming skull that would randomly appear in front of you? I don't know, but it is quite an atmospheric game. The enemies consist of flying eyes with guns and a couple of other aliens that while good aren't so distinctive as in, lets say, Doom. The problems start with the level design. There are what, 30 levels? I don't remember… what I do remember is how boring they were. I know that the first FPS games where the epitome of simplicity but that doesn't mean that they couldn't add more variety to the level design.

Sound: 6.5/10
Music: 3/10

The sound effects are just decent… really, I can't say anything else about them. They get their job done, that's all about it. Now the music, hmm… while not extremely bad it is surely extremely REPETITIVE. Just put on some good music on your mp3 player if you don't want to get bored.

[+]:

Duke Nukem 3D (PC)
Heretic (PC)
Serious Sam 1 & 2 (PC)
Ultimate Doom (PC)

Overall: 4.4/10

All in all I don't thing of C7 as a good game. There are only 2 reasons to play it. #1: if you like Wolfenstein 3D and #2: If you want a history lesson in the first FPS games. Thankfully for the rest of us we can also play Doom!

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 07/06/10

Game Release: Corridor 7 (US, 05/06/95)