Review by pixelpenguin

"One of the most advanced games of its time."

Commander Keen IV: Secret Of The Oracle was way ahead of its time. I spent endless hours playing it on my PC when I was younger. The best part is that it's free to download! Technically, it's shareware because the 5th and 6th games aren't free, but it really doesn't matter. This game is the best out of all three anyway.

-Storyline 7/10
The story is a little confusing. The Shikadi are taking over the galaxy, and you, Billy Blaze, go to the planet Gnosticus IV to save the Council Members they captured. Basically, you save the galaxy from evil monsters. In a platform/action game, the story doesn't really matter though.

-Gameplay 10/10
This game is a typical platformer. I'd say it's better than the Mario games. You start out by your ship, and travel through the world map, entering levels. You can go to some in any order, and some are behind other levels. In the levels, you defeat enemies with your raygun. You can run, jump, and hop on your pogo stick to go extra high. One of my favorite parts is that the enemies are all different, unlike some platformers. They all try to hurt you in different ways, so there is some variation between the levels.

-Graphics 9/10
The graphics in this game are great, considering the fact it was made for DOS with a minimum of a 286 processor. The graphics were upgraded significantly from the first 3 Commander Keen games. It's full of colorful and detailed backgrounds and characters. The animations are great and lifelike. The graphical power is about the same as the SNES has. The motion is smooth and doesn't stick.

-Sound and Music 9/10
The music really fits the game. Each level has a different tune, so you don't have to listen to the same theme over and over again. The sound effects can get a little annoying at times, especially the pogo stick sound.

-Difficulty Level 6/10
Sadly, this game probably isn't difficult enough for someone over 10. It seems like ID designed this game around young children and not young adults and adults.

-Overall 8/10
This is a great game. I suggest you download it. Just do a quick Google search. The game's graphics, sound, and gameplay are its high points. The difficulty level is a little too easy for anyone over 10.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 08/31/05