Review by Oni Lukos

"An eccentric game about an eccentric species"

First off, SimAnt is very odd game, but what can you expect from a game about insects? One of the best things about this game is that you don't need the CD to play this game, so if you're going on a trip with your laptop, you needn't bring the CD drive.

Going around digging holes, killing other ants, and gather food. Sounds boring doesn't it? Well it's not!
Gathering up groups of ants to swarm the spider! Typing codes to make the spider walk backwards...wait...
Anyway, I'm not sure I can describe the gameplay without making it sound boring.
Well, the way you beat the game is by killing the red colony, and, in the full game, driving the humans out of the house. You get to control the yellow ant which is part of the black colony. You can switch which ant you are at any time. One cool feature is the ability to ''summon'' a following of ants so you can gang up on the red colony or the spider. While doing this, you need to make sure to keep yourself and the colony nourished. You eat little green spheres that completely fill you. One of the bad parts is that it's a little hard to make your ant eat these spheres, but you'll figure it out. After a while you'll get some young queens and males with which you can send to close by patches of land and start new colonies. If you play long enough, you'll even be able to invade the house! You will always want to protect the queen, because if it dies, so does the colony! There is also the ''joke'' option that makes the ants ''think'' goofy comments, though I usually keep this disabled.

Ok, the sound isn't very good, it's a little goofy, and I might suggest playing without the sound, but some of the sound is good...but not most. To tell you the truth, at the time of me writing this review, the speakers on my computer are broken and I can barely remember what the sounds sound like, so this may not be the best reference for a criticism on sound.

They don't look very good, but what can you expect from a game this old? To put it simply, I'd say the graphics are ''adequate''.

Overall, I'd say it's a good game, but you shouldn't get it unless you really like the classic Sim games.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 10/19/03