Review by sudzi781

"Collections are almost always good, and this is no exception"

The Sonic series has always been one of my favorite series. However, since I only started gaming with the Gamecube, I was never able to find a true Genesis Sonic. But one day I came across this collection and I got it, it was well worth it.

Graphics-9
When I got this game (1998), I believed the graphics were astounding. I still do when I consider the original game was made in 1994. The graphics are a direct port of the Genesis games (which I learned when I got Sonic Mega Collection). The levels are full of color and the characters are well made.

Gameplay-10
This is 2-D classic Sonic gameplay, there's not much to say about it, except that it's awesome. The collection features three games; Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Sonic and Knuckles, and Sonic 3 and Knuckles. In Sonic 3, you play as either Sonic, Tails, or both of them together. In Sonic and Knuckles, you either play as Sonic or Knuckles. And in Sonic 3 and Knuckles, you can play as either one. The main feature of the collection is S3&K, but playing StH3 and S&K individually is also fun.

Sound-8
The sound is the only thing that was not exactly ported onto the PC, now all of the levels have two soundtracks (except for Icecap zone). Lots of the music has changed, some good (Carnival Night), and some bad (Icecap). Though a few (like Angel Island) remain just about the same.

Control-9
This game is played on a keyboard, you use the arrow keys to move, and enter to jump. Everything is nice except that the arrows are pretty close together and you might accidentally hit the wrong key.

Overall-9
This is a very solid collection. Everything in it is good. If you are a new Sonic fan wanting to play the old games and not spend extra money on a Genesis, then get this game. Even old Sonic fans should try and find this collection. As long as you have a few bucks to spare, go for it.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 09/06/06