Review by Uvula Walrus

"Platformer's Heaven"

A great philosopher once stated “If you live in the present, every moment is a new beginning”, and while this may be true for music, TV, and crap like that, it has a different approach toward the video game genre. Sonic and Knuckles Collection is a great example. Two old games that are as good, if not better, than any new games being released.

In Sonic and Knuckles collection, you play as Sonic, Tails, or Knuckles through over twenty levels in a tropical island area. At the beginning, your main objective (As Sonic) seems to be defeating Knuckles, but later a plot twist occurs and your new opponent is revealed. I won’t spoil that for you, as it is a very entertaining story. Even if you have played Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles, this game will be new. Sure, the same levels exist and the characters are still there, but the fact that the two games are integrated into one story is enough to justify a purchase.

Very vibrant indeed. One of the best looking 16-Bit games to grace any console. The animation is smooth, the backgrounds, while groggy, look fine and even the background layers look nice. If I did have a problem to state, however, it would be that the later levels look similar.

Game play: 9/10
Of course the game play is good, what did you expect? I was expecting good, but this is great. The game survived the infamous emulation process, and the only hindrance I could find was the rare (and I mean RARE) glitch.
Other than that, the game play is flawless. I can think of few platformers that control more reasonably.

Music: 8/10
I have always loved Sonic’s music, ever since I was six years of age. This game continues the trend by giving not only every zone it’s own theme, but every act as well. And all the music is top notch, well, except for Knuckle’s theme. The melodies have all been carefully composed to fit the ongoing screen action, and the composers achieved that very well. A special bonus on this game however, is the addition of five new level songs. The new Ice Cap theme is, without a doubt, beautiful.

“Oh my gosh! I can’t believe that I’m actually enjoying a video game’s story!”
That is what I said to myself, and I can’t believe I was unable to think of a book that was more engaging.

Final Verdict?
This game is the finest of Sega’s PC compilations, due to its extreme length and entertaining extras.
If you’re a fan of the original Sonic 3/Sonic and Knuckles, you will love this game.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/18/03, Updated 03/29/03