Review by jedisonic

"He's not called "the cool blue one" for nothin'!"

If you have ever owned a Sega Genesis, I hope you got these games then. If not, then LUCKY YOU because their right here in Sonic & Knuckles Collection! Considering that you should find it for pretty cheap at places like Wal-Mart or Toys R Us, it's a better deal than going out and getting, say, Sonic Mega Collection for the GCN. The ''three'' games included are Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, and ''Sonic 3 with Knuckles''. The latter was actually the result (as I understand it) of the Sega Genesis's ''lock-on'' technology, which involves actually stacking one game cartridge on top of the other, and could be used to unlock special features such as S3&K. Now on to the review...

Sonic 3

A big blue blur of fun- and coolness is a phrase which pretty well describes this puppy. It was the first sonic game to include a save feature, and since it allows about eight files to be stored separately, it really does come in handy! Not a problem at all if you've got lots of siblings and freinds who keep begging to play (like I do)! Aside from the fact that the graphics get somewhat choppy at points, the feeling of speed in some parts is amazing for a 16-bit game! There are eight levels total (I hear that the original had more, but that's unconfirmed), which means that you'll get to see a variety of different, very colorful terrain and enemies. The graphics over all are very nicely done, though you can't always appreciate them fully when zooming by in a spin-dash! Also, the music and sound are great as in any Sonic game! BLING, BLING, go the rings, FSSHIII, FSSHIII, goes the spin-dash, and PUTAPUTAPUTAPUTA goes Tails's tails and... eh? Oh, sorry.

Sonic & Knuckles

This is a pretty fun game, but lacks a save feature which is a pain in the *.*.*.*. Anyways, I honestly can't say much about the latter levels of it because I could never get past a very difficult stage which involves the lights repeatedly going out and menacing ghosts chasing you! Actually, that's probably just because my monitor is messed up so everything seems too dark; you can probably get better out of it, once you make it through the level ; ) The sound and graphics, of course are awesome. In fact, I've got the tune from the ''Mushroom Hills Zone'' stuck in my head right now! A nice touch to the gameplay is your ability to glide and cling to walls as knuckles. Flying into enemies spiked-knuckles-first can be much more gratifying at times than just jumping on them!

Sonic 3 & Knuckles

There isn't much to be said about this one. All you do is rerun through the levels in both games, only having the option of being Sonic, Tails, Sonic & Tails, or Knuckles the whole way. Knuckles can use his, uh, knuckles to break into certain ''secret passages'' in the S3 stages, while I don't think Tails does anything special in the S&K stages. A nice thing about this game is that it does give you the chance to save!

Well, all that said Sonic and Knuckles Collection makes for a great addition to you PC game collection, assuming that you can get it for $10 like I did! : )

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/19/03, Updated 03/19/03