"Cosmo doesn't suck. His hands do."

The first video game I ever played was Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure by Apogee Software. At the time, it seemed absolutely godly, but then again...I was about 6 or 7 years old. Eventually, my computer broke down and I lost the game. Years later, I finally find the game and play it once again... (Note:I am not sure which version of the game I have, actually. It doesn't say.)

Graphics:
Hard to describe, really.

The graphics of this game are, as I just said, really hard to describe. The backgrounds, foregrounds and characters range from average to crude even by the standards of 1992. Cosmo looks average throughout the entire game, and the level designs are a lot like your average platformers. The intro looks nice, but everything else has to be seen to be believed.

Overall, this is hard to describe, but is amazing for 1992's standards. 85/100

Sound:
What sound???

I'm not kidding. There is little to no music and little to no sounds in this game, and that's laziness even by 1992's standards. The little sounds and music there are...are not good. Not good at all, not average either, and are terrible by 1992's standards. There are actually a total of 20 songs in this game, all of which are not very good at all, no matter what year this game was made. 20/100

Story:
Silly but cliche.
----
Cosmo is a young alien on his way to visit Disney World with his parents. That is, until their ship is struck by a blazing comet, forcing them to land on an uncharted planet.

While his Dad repairs the ship, Cosmo heads off to explore the strange planet. Upon returning, both his Mom and Dad are gone, and big, scary alien footprints are all around his ship! Oh no! Have Cosmo's parents been captured? Possibly to be eaten? Well, Cosmo is off to the rescue!

----
Doesn't sound wacky, does it? Wait until you get further, but this gets bonus points for being funny AS it goes further, as otherwise, it has no story at all. 45/100

Gameplay:
Average platformer with a twist.

CCA is your average platformer with a twist. For starters, Cosmo jumps really, REALLY, REEEEEAAAAAALLLLLLLLYYYYYY high. Cosmo's jumping puts Mario to shame. Cosmo is literally the highest jumping platformer character ever created, and if that doesn't save you, then his ability to use his plunger-hands to climb walls will. Yes, you read that right. Plunger hands.

But besides these twists, Cosmo is nothing but an average platformer, down to jumping on enemies to kill them and jumping over far too many bottomless pits. 70/100

Length/Difficulty:
Massive boring levels...CHECK!

CCA has HUUUUGGGGEEEEEEE levels, but unfortunately, they are far TOO linear. And not only that, but there are not many. And last of all, only the annoying bottomless pits will give you a challenge. 25/100

Controls
Smooth.

The controls are smooth, and there really isn't much to say other than that. 100/100

-----
And... RECAP!

Pros and Cons:

+ For 1992, OK graphics.
+ Silly storyline that just gets sillier.
+ Good twists keep it from being an overly average platformer.
+ Smooth controls.
- Almost no sounds and 20 tracks of crappy music.
- Overly linear, easy levels.
- Lack of story other than the sillyness.
- Other than the twists, it's still an average platformer.

Graphics: Hard to describe, really. 85/100
Sound: What sound??? 20/100
Story: Silly, but cliche. 45/100
Gameplay: Average platformer with a twist. 70/100
Length/Difficulty Massive boring levels....CHECK! 25/100
Controls: Smooth. 100/100

FINAL VERDICT:

For 1992, it's still an average game that could have been absolute gold. It turned out to be nothing like I remembered it. 58/100

Buy, Rent, or Stomp on:

None of the above. Find the shareware and download it, I don't recommend you buying it.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 08/02/04