Review by BlueYoshi579

"Long, hard, but rather satisfying."

Visuals: 10/10

The visuals are, in a word, stunning. The artists did an excellent job. There's just the right amount of color, shading, and the characters do exactly what the artists intended. There's plenty of detail in all the characters, and more than enough in the backgrounds (especially considering how other games in the genre perform in the details department). Overall, Bible Black's eye candy is very sweet.

Sound: 1.5/10

Unlike the visuals, the sounds are horrible. I've seen a dub of the anime version, and the voices there were downright awful. The game form of Bible Black actually manages to do worse than the anime. The character voices sound almost inhuman, as if they were trying to parody the genre or something. I'm not sure what the developers' goals were in this department were, but they failed to meet even my most basic expectations.

Controls: 6.5/10

The controls of Bible Black are nothing more than point and click. I found them to be a bit glitchy, but overall, it's hard to screw up something so simple. You shouldn't encounter any serious problems.

Although the visuals are amazing, Bible Black's gameplay really squanders them. The game is very repetitive and tedious, and your choices don't seem to have any logical connection to the events that follow. It's almost as if you've been possessed by dark powers or something, and lack any control over your character. Although there's plenty of different characters to interact with, you really don't have a whole lot options. However, the few options you do have are much fun, and their quality makes up for the lack of quantity.

The story is very thin. The backstory is never fully developed, and the characters are universally uninteresting and shallow. Mediocre gameplay and a weak story/characters don't make for great replay value, but Bible Black somehow manages to have some. There's just something about it that makes me want to play it more than I think I should.

Overall, Bible Black is probably worth it if you're a fan of the genre. Otherwise, I'd stay away. It's certainly not a good game to introduce you to the genre.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 02/22/07