Review by Videogamer

"A very good collection of classic games"

Sega Smash Pack is a collection of 8 classic games from the Sega Genesis. I normally do console game reviews, but since these are just console games on PC, I figured I’d make an exception. The majority of these games are great, and I think the ten bucks I paid for the CD is more than worth it.

Altered Beast: 5 out of 10
This is one of Sega’s first fighting games, and it’s definitely not one of their best. The graphics aren’t bad at all for their time, and the control is decent, but the game just isn't much fun. All you do is go right and attack enemies until you get enough power-ups to fight the boss of the level. Sega has a whole lot of games that are better than this that they could have used.

Columns: 7 out of 10
This is Sega's answer to Tetris, and it's not too bad. The graphics, sound, and control are all just fine, but I just couldn't enjoy it as much as some other puzzle games such as Bust a Move and Tetris Attack. I would give it a lower score, but my mom seems to really like it (seriously).

Golden Axe: 8 out of 10
This is one of Sega's better fighting games. It has pretty good graphics for it's time, and the control is a little slow, but it's fine once you get used to it. The game play in this game isn't bad at all. The enemies have some intelligence, and it's just fun to play. It is kind of easy, though, so it probably won't last as long as some of the other games on the CD. The music is catchy in some levels, but almost annoying in others. Overall, a good game that could stand to be a little more difficult, or have multiple difficulty level settings.

Outrun: 10 out of 10
This is by far the best Sega racing game I've ever played (probably because I haven't played many). The graphics are great for their time, and the control is just fine. The music and sound effects are also good. This is an old arcade racing game, with several paths and difficulty levels. I also like the ending animations too, they're definitely fun to watch. It's a fun game and was definitely worth a good portion of the price I paid for this CD.

Phantasy Star II: 10 out of 10
The high price of the cartridge of this game is actually what prompted me to buy this CD. It's an old school RPG, and in my opinion, it ranks right up there with Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior. This takes place in a sci-fi type setting and your goal is to see what is wrong with Mother Brain, the system that controls the planet. The graphics are just fine for their time, the sound is ok, and the control is a little slow, but you get used to it after a bit of playing. This is an old school RPG, so you will have to do a decent amount of leveling up, but if you can live with that, then you've got a great RPG here.

Sonic Spinball: 7 out of 10
This is kind of a cash-in on Sonic, really. It's a pinball game with Sonic and Dr. Robotnick. The graphics and sound are good for their time, and the play control isn't perfect, but it is playable enough. The game play is ok, it's fairly challenging, but there's only four levels, and you probably have to be a big fan of pinball video games to really get a lot of enjoyment out of this one.

Super Shinobi: 7 out of 10
This game is also known as Revenge of Shinobi. It's a Ninja Gaiden style game where you play as a ninja that is trying to save a princess. The graphics and sound are fine for their time, and the play control is ok. This is one of the more challenging games on the CD, and is almost impossible without the infinite shriekens code. Once you have the code on, it's fairly enjoyable until you get to round 7, then it's nearly impossible (that long jump in 7-1 and the basement maze in 8-2 are difficult even for a veteran gamer like me). It's not horrible but it's definitely frustrating at times.

Vectorman: 8 out of 10
This is the most recent of the games and it's a platform shooter. The graphics are comparable to the early Playstation games and the sound isn't great, but it works. The control is fine, but it does take some getting used to. This is a platform shooter where you play as a robot that's trying to save the world from evil robots. It's fairly enjoyable, but I still prefer Contra: Hard Corps and Gunstar Heroes, because they just simply have more action in them. It's still not a bad addition to the CD, though.

Overall, this would be a great purchase for anyone that likes old school games and has ten bucks to blow on a PC game. I do recommend that you get a game pad, though. These games would probably be hard to play on a keyboard.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 12/21/00, Updated 12/21/00