Review by Drakan

"A pretty fun platformer..."

Introduction
Well, the chances of you actually picking up a copy of this game these days are very slim. I remember spending hours upon hours on this game and enjoying them thoroughly. This game was supposedly made by none other than John Romero, at least that's what it says at the title screen. I am not sure whether or not it is true, but it is not impossible. It could have been his high school project. Anyway, press enter at the title screen and you will begin the game. This is an insanely simple to play traditional 2D platformer.

Graphics
By today's standards, these graphics are awful. But considering that it was made back in the 80's, one could say that they were colourful and suited this type of game. The different things on screen are really easy to distinguish. The main character (Dave) is not animated too well, but it doesn't matter. The water and explosions also look very plain, but at least you can make out what they are. If you land in water, you explode, which I find quite funny. The one thing that I found pretty annoying though was that the screen only scrolls when you reach the edge of the current section. If you have enemies shooting at you on the next screen, it is easy to get shot sometimes and can be irritating. But this doen'st happen very often.

Controls
I swear a 3 year old could play this game. Up = Jump. Left = Walk Left. Right = Walk Right. Control = Shoot (when you pick up the gun). Alt = Turn on/off jetpack (when you pick it up). The keys are extremely responsive as they should be. Even though it is quite easy to control, you will still need to master them, especially the moving whilst falling in order to complete the game.

Story
There really isn't much of a story to this. You are Dangerous Dave. You go through 10 different levels collecting treasure and trying not to die. Sound good? I won't rate the game according to story.

Gameplay
This is where the game shines. It begins really easily, but by the time you get to the 4th level, you will know that it's going to take some serious effort to try and complete it. There are 10 levels. The trick to this game is timing. Later on in the game, you must be able to time a run to perfection or else you will certainly die, and lives go quite quickly. It can become infuriating, but when you complete a level, you get a great sense of accomplishment.

Multiplayer
None. I will not rate the game on this.

Continuity
There is a lot more to this game than at first meets the eye. With a few hard to find and cleverly hidden bonus levels, and what with trying to get your timing right and achieve a perfect score, you could be playing this for a long time. I still like to hit the bricks (you will understand when you play it) every now and again, and I've had the game for nearly 10 years now.

Rating