Review by bigmike14020

"Wow is the only word!!!"

Introduction
Sega Smash Pack 2 is a very good game that is a blessing from Sega. They have put so many good games into one simple computer disk. You have Shining Force I, Sonic The Hedgehog 2, Comix Zone, Kid Chameleon, Flicky, Vectorman 2, Super Hang On and Sega Swirl. I will write a review for each of the games.

Shining Force I
This game is something else. I have been looking for it for the longest time so that I could play it on something else other than the Sega.

Gameplay:

The game play is a turn based rpg/action game. You switch places with the enemy in random order. You can do four options depending on your character.

Story:

It is you Max stuck in a battle to save the world from the evil force known as Dark Dragon. You acquire many new characters in the game and some of your enemies will turn out to be your greatest friend.

Sound:

For its time the music that the game has is great. I belive Sega did a good job in transferring the original soundtrack over from the cartridge.

Flicker
Highly addictive game for you to play.

Gameplay:

Addictive is the only word I have to say. The jumping is a little off so expect to leave some room for the jump and allow some room for your enemies. The chicks are very easy to get but to keep them with you is another story. It can get hard to see when you have lost your chicks when there are 5-7 following you.

Story:

There is not much of a story except go get those chickies.

Sound:

Nice track that will keep you awake and keep you on your seat so you can get all of those chickies. One good feature is you hear when you loose a chickie by its sound. Listen for that because if you don't you might not think you have lost them.

Sonic The Hedgehog 2

Gameplay:

The game runs smooth and the jumps go where you want them. You get to use Sonic's original moves Super Spin Attack, and the Super Dash Attack. He also has some moves like the Super Twist and the Pinball Attack. Levels are very well organized.

Story:

Stop Robotnick before he gets all the Chaos Emeralds. You play 2-3 levels and on the last one you fight a version of Robotnick. Every time you must kick his butt.

Sound:

Great sounds that show everything you can see. You can hear sonic dash up and hear him jump. You can hear a great background music.

Comix Zone
Great game that is a combination of fighting and also comics. You are Sketch who is thrown into a comic and must fight Mortus's evil drawings.

Gameplay:

Using a fury of kicks, jumps and punches makes this game a very entertaining fighting game. The problem is that it is too short and you can remember where the enemies appear in each panel.

Story:

Turning into a comic book hero is a dream of every ones. Roadkill your rat and Alissa Cyan your strategist help you through this battle.

Sound:

Good background music and also nice kicking, punching and jumping sounds.

Kid Chameleon
You are Kid Chameleon who is playing a game that is wanting to capture you and kidnap you.

Gameplay:

Nice Jumping for the game. Collecting helmets to change your class is very fun. Every class has its advantages. Most Classes have special attacks.

Story:

Entertaining. A game that puts Kid Chameleon into a virtual reality. The good thing about this game is you are always switching classes so you never know what you are going to be.

Sound:

I did not really like it. The background music was not as good as some of the other games. Not bad but not great either. And the sound Effects are not that great.

Super Hang-On
This is a great racing game for the Smash Pack. They could have picked different ones but they chose this and I am happy for it.

Gameplay:

Your racing down the track on your motorcycle facing hazards and players who want you gone. The one part I never liked about the racing was that if you hit a sign usually you would be gone from the race completely. In the game you have to wait a second and your back racing again.

Story:

Not much of a story except win win win.

Sound:

Bad in this game. I did not like it. The background or the sound effects.

Vectorman 2

Gameplay:

Great shooter/side scrolling game. I enjoy the aiming because you just have to push your control pad in the direction you have to shoot.

Story:

Following the destruction of warhead Vectorman gets shot by a missile and realizes a insect population has plans on destroying the earth.

Sound:

There is a good background music for this game. The shots fired off sound real for this game since it is set in the future.

Sega Swirl
VERY ADDICTIVE GAME. I belive it is more addictive than Tetris because it is tough to get up to the top points.
(hint; Count every color. Go for the color that has the most)
Gameplay:

You see many swirls on your board. Each one either one of four colors. You click the swirl you want to get rid of. Try to score many points. You get points for having more than one color touching so you can get rid of them. You loose points for getting rid of a single swirl with none of its own near itself.

Story:

No story in this game whatsoever.

Sound:

I did not like the sound effects for this game. The ''swirl'' effect can be annoying and irritating. When you click on a piece that is alone by itself the sound is very bad. Fortunately you can turn them off so you can concentrate on all the clicking.

Final Sum Up
This compilation of games is fun and entertaining. You will want to get this if you have the measly ten dollars for it. Also you might want to buy a control because using your keyboard for some of the games can be very difficult. Especially the ones that involve jumping.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/10/01, Updated 11/23/01