Review by Charagon

"Good, but needs some work"

Now that I had Half-Life, I could finally try some of the great mods out for it. This one was pretty hyped up, so I decided to try it. It's ok, but there are some problems that need to be fixed.

-This is the problem. There are 2 teams, aliens and marines. The marines have a commander, who basically puts everything into place. It's mostly a real-time strategy game for him. The aliens, however, have 5 different forms to mutate into, and they require ''hives.'' The sides have opposing goals: the aliens must get the hives, and the aliens must prevent the aliens from getting the hives. In the beginning of any given game, the aliens have the advantage. They can rush the marine base and kill everyone, winning in about 1 minute. Not cool. Later in the game, the team that worked together better has the advantage. Whichever team gets and secures all 3 hives first easily wins. Again, not cool. The makers even came up with a patch that weakened the marines and upgraded the aliens. To make matters worse, the aliens already have an ultimate form, which is practically unstoppable. Finally, there is no team-balance, except at the beginning of a round, where a player cannot join a team if it gives that team 2 more than the other. But if it's 10-10, then all but one person on a team leave, it's 10-1. No auto-balance. NOT GOOD, PEOPLE.

-The graphics are excellent. The aliens all look, well, alien-y, and the marines look pretty realistic. The only problem I have is the aliens' bite attack. When they use it, their teeth blind them. Even though their eyes aren't in their mouth. Eh, whatever.

-The actual sounds are good. The voices are all nice, and the gun sounds all work well. There is also some background music, which isn't too bad.

Controls: 9/10
-The controls are so good because you set them yourself. The only problem is that there are too many. Blargh.

Difficulty: 2/10
-This is an online-only game, so the difficulty always changes from game to game. However, the teams are NOT fair. No. NOT FAIR AT ALL. My team has never won. You may say I'm just inexperienced, but even when the best players are on my team, we still lose. WTF is up with that?

Replayability: 5/10
-It's an online game, it should be a 10/10 replay, right? Wrong. If you can get fair teams, it's a great game. But what are the chances of having fair teams? About 1/100. Seriously. This game is REALLY unbalanced.

Buy/Rent: DOWNLOAD
-Well, if you want it, that is. It's a 90 MB download. I see many faults, but if you can see past those, then, well, be my guest.

-Really, this game could be great, but the makers ****ed it up. First, the marines had an unfair advantage. Then they released a patch that ''made it all better.'' Wrong again, Mac. Now the aliens have an advantage. Sheesh.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 11/16/02, Updated 11/16/02