Review by HoBoS

"Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Another Hit!"

Blizzard does it again. They are not the most prompt company when it comes to getting things out, but the extra time they spend on the games is well worth it. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne is another game on the long list of Blizzard successes.

Overall Rating: 10/10

I know you see a lot of these very high ratings for this game. There is a very valid reason: it is that good. Just saying this would be enough, but just in case you are not convinced, I shall explain why it is that great.

If you played Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, you would know its already great gameplay. But Blizzard felt that the greatness wasn’t quite good enough, so they improved it even more. The interface hasn’t really been changed, but just about everything else has. Whenever you complete the building of a building, or an upgrade is completed, a message across the bottom of the screen tells you so. It makes life easier. When you have 5-6 buildings going up at a time, it helps to know which one finished. Same with upgrades. Also, they have made it possible for builders to queue up buildings, so the second your peasant finishes that farm, he goes straight to the barracks. Those are the best parts that were improved in gameplay.

New Game Features: 10/10
The Frozen Throne brings you back to the game with 1 new hero for each race, and 5 neutral heroes. Also, custom built shops for each player help these heroes work even better and more destructive. This would be enough, but no, there’s more. Blizzard gave two new units for each race, which makes the possibilities limitless.

While the story may be a continuation of Reign of Chaos, it manages to stay fresh. The first campaign starts you off with the Elves, and then leads you into the Human campaign. Up to there, it has kept my attention and stayed very interesting. It is slightly predictable, but what games story isn't? But Blizzard did something else its great at, and that was the story.

Sound/Music: 9/10
The music is great, however, it does get slightly repetitive. But besides this fact, it is nice to listen to at times. (Though I usually have it off). The sounds are what save this rating though. Each unit has a vast vocabulary and says very interesting things. They will say generic things while you command them, but if you keep clicking, they will eventually say very comical things: “You’re the king? Well I didn’t vote for you.”

Online play: 10/10
Blizzard has always had a great online gaming system. Battle.net is above and beyond their call of duty. (They could be charging us for the service.. thank you Blizzard for not doing that.) The interface on battle.net has been much improved to allow for clan support and tournaments. They continue to make the system better as time goes by. It makes this game a must-buy, up from a “you have to get this.”

I hope this helps you make the decision whether to buy or not to buy. I feel it is essential to any computer gamer. But the best bet would be try it out at a friends house and then buy if you like it. Or, play Reign of Chaos first (since you do need it) and if you enjoyed that, upgrade to this work of art.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 07/04/03, Updated 07/04/03