Review by Dabears8

"Not quite up to par."

Welcome to my review of Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne. I'll skip all the usual information, as I'm sure you all ready know that stuff. So on to the review (my rating system shall be blantantly stolen from Gamespot).

The gameplay is... blah. I've seen it before in just about every RTS game, it does not add much to the standard mix. However, it does take that standard mix, and wrap it up in a shiny cover. I am still annoyed by the fact you can only move about 12 people at a time (yes, I'm fully aware it's about micromanagement, but some people prefer larger armies). The armor tweaks are okay, and I haven't played enough battle.net to see if the caster wars of Reign of Chaos continue. It remains to be seen.

Graphics-wise, the game could have been gorgeous. As it stands, the consumer receives year old graphics. The spell effects are pretty good, but I find them a bit lacking. The units and their animation are colorful and well done. It is admirable that Blizzard took into account low-end systems, but I thought they could use a boost.

Pretty ho-hum sound. Some funny lines from the units, the clash of steel all sounds okay. Perhaps if you didn't get an affirmation every single time you right click on something, but it's just a nit-picky thing of mine. The sound is nothing spectacular.

Value: 9/10
Whatever else there is to say about it, it does feature some fantastic longevity. At 3 in the morning you could quite easily find a game against some random person in ten seconds. Custom games are a blast to play, and with time this game will have a great stable of them. If you're intimadated by the competitiveness of Bnet, don't be. It's fun, but you can play with some jerks. Comes with the territory, I suppose.

Tilt: 5/10
I know it's an expansion pack, but for 1 new hero for each race and a couple new units, 35 dollars is ridiculous.

On the whole, I was rather disappointed with the effort that went into this expansion pack. Brood War completely revitalized Star Craft; this game does nothing of the sort. If you aren't into online play, I'm not sure if this is worth it. Be wary of purchase, wait for a demo or play it at a friend's house. The reviews may tell you it's for everyone, but trust me, it's not.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 07/06/03, Updated 07/06/03