Review by Fraghappy

"Another wonderful addition to the Warcraft saga"

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne is the expansion to the best-selling Warcraft III. It brags of tons of new missions, new units, new “neutral” heroes, naval units, and more. So, is it worth buying? I’d say so…

To start off, the story isn’t nearly as good as the original game. It talks about Illidan summoning an ancient race called the Naga to help him take out the Undead, and how the Night Elves are split in allegiance. The Human missions have almost nothing to do with the humans at all, it tells about the Blood Elves, the last remaining High Elves, and how they escape the dying Lordaeron and join up with Illidan. The Undead missions are about trying to stop Illidan from killing the Lich King at the Frozen Throne. So, it’s all pretty interconnected.

While the story behind the missions is bad, most of the missions are very well-done. Blizzard does a good job of coming up with new and original ideas of what to make us do. There is even a special “hidden” TD (Tower Defense) mission you can unlock for the Humans. Also, there is the Orc campaign, which is more of an Open RPG type thing, where you control a Beastmaster Rexxar, and his companion, the Shadow Hunter Rokhan. However, only the first third of it is currently available for play, the rest must be downloaded from their website at a future date.

There are tons of new units to accompany this expansion, along with one new hero for each race. With the Undead we have the Crypt Lord, an undead king of the Nerubians. The Orcs get the cunning Shadow Hunter, a troll with powerful support magic, and a great ultimate Spell “Big Bad Voodoo,” which makes all of the units except the Shadow Hunter temporarily invincible. The Warden is new to the Night Elves. With her short-range teleport “Blink,” she can hop to the back of enemy lines, taking out their support troops, and can teleport back before anyone can do anything about it. Finally, with the Humans we get the Blood Mage, a former High Elf now seeking sanctuary with humans. With “Flamestrike,” a powerful fire spell, along with his ultimate “Phoenix” summon, he is a worthy addition to any army.

Along with the addition of these heroes, we have “Neutral Heroes.” These can be hired at a local Tavern, a new Neutral Building on most maps. Perhaps the most funny of these is the Pandaren Brewmaster, a huge Panda that has abilities that can douse enemy units with alcohol, making them drunk. Another one is the Dark Ranger, and undead ranger that has split away from the Scourge in order to find her own path. She can use “Life Drain” to suck the health away from her enemies, as well as using her “Black Arrows” to turn enemy units into skeletons. The third Neutral Hero is the Naga Sea Witch. She hails from the race freed by Illidan, and has powerful elemental magic spells at her disposal. Next is the Beastmaster, an axe wielding Orc-Ogre half-breed, capable of summoning powerful creatures such as Bears, Hawks, Hogs, or even a Stampede of Thunder Lizards. Finally, we have the Pit Lord, one of the few remnants of the Burning Legion, still looking for work.

Graphics and sound are pretty much the same from the old game. To go along with all of the new units, we, of course, have tons of more hilarious quotes. (It’s time to start clicking on everything tons of times again to get all of the “pissed quotes.”) There are a few new songs to go with some of the new missions, and they pretty much fit in with the standard set by the original games. The graphics are the same as ever, and the new units and heroes have very well-done models.

The Map Editor, surprisingly, is even better than it was in the first game (which is hard to believe.) In addition to all you could already do, you can now make custom abilities, custom items, custom upgrades, and even voiceovers for missions. However, any map that uses these new features, is NOT backwards compatible with the original game.

Replay Value is virtually endless. After beating the missions, there is the wonderful joy of Battle.net. Here you can battle it out with hundreds of thousands of other Warcraft III Players, in Team Games, Solo Games, FFA Games, or even custom maps that you or other players have made.

So, with all of that out of the way, I’d have to say that Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, is a very worthwhile purchase. Sure, the story isn’t that great, but it sets everything up for Blizzard’s upcoming MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game) World of Warcraft, which comes out early 2004. So, don’t waste anytime, go out and buy a copy and play me on Battle.net already!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 09/14/03