Question from RPG702

Don't know how to get iron?

I go into the mine, but all I can find is coal and cobblestone. I have a stone pick, but it doesn't make a difference.

How do I get it?

RPG702 provided additional details:

My map has no mods whatsoever. It's just a regular map: mountains, lakes, trees, caves. i've seen some lava before, but only in one spot.

RPG702 provided additional details:

I only get cobblestone after i use a pickaxe on regular stone. I don't actually find cobblestone itself

Fast_Eddie_2 answered:

Just keep mining. You will eventually find iron ore which you can mine with your stone pickaxe. It may take a while, but the deeper you go the higher the chance of finding iron. It's there, you just have to find it. Once you do, build a furnace and put your iron in the top and coal in the bottom and your iron will smelt into ingots, which you can use to make all sorts of nifty things.
1 0

Answers

kels430 answered:

You just have to be lucky. Also are you sure you find cobblestone as it doesnt occur naturally except in dungeons?
1 0

IamSacred answered:

Well, it also occures when flowing water and flowing lava collide. anyways, you're in a dungeon if there is cobblestone with moss on it (mossy cobblestone). Mossy Cobblestone is just normal cobblestone except that it appeares only in dungeons, and the craks are green (for the moss). At the other end of a small little cavern, dig down by making steps and I almost always hit another cavern with: Coal; IRON; Gold; Redstone; Diamond. If you find any diamond you can't get any diamond from it if you don't have an Iron Pick or better. Hope I helped! Oh, and also, kels430 is right. you have to be lucky.
0 0

HighFiveGhost answered:

Just did. I seem to find a lot of my iron around coal. Go searching in caves, bring torches, and look at for baddies.
0 0

kirby230 answered:

Iron can easily be found in cave systems, or you can mine downward until you hit bedrock. Once you hit bedrock, just mine around and you should find iron pretty quickly.
0 0

OrokenDuMonger answered:

Alternatively if you're not concerned with playing through the game "true" style you can use the downloadable program InvEdit to simply import any item at any quantity and quality you want directly into your character's inventory. If you are playing true style and you want a crack at iron your best bet is branchmining 12 paces above the bedrock bottom, this solution also finds the most gold as well. If you branchmine at the very bottom you're likely-hood of finding iron and gold diminishes but finding diamond and redstone becomes easier.
0 0