Question from TigerBlood97

Multiplayer help?

My and my friend want to play minecraft together, but whats a server name? can someone tell me how to play with a friend?

TigerBlood97 provided additional details:

Legitimately as in purchased? I play on minecraftforfree.com, its the minecraft official site that let's me play free, it allows me to click multiplayer and enter server, I just wasn't sure

darkzacattack asked for clarification:

What Shadow means by "legitimately obtained" is that you have to get the actual game; so no "free Minecraft" websites. Either buy the game online or buy a card from Gamestop, BestBuy, etc.

Answers

Shadow122333 answered:

first of all, you need a server IP address, to find one check out mcserverlist.net or www.planetminecraft.com/resources/servers/

Then open Minecraft
---click Multiplayer
--- click Add Server
---copy and paste a server IP into the Server Address box
--- name the server whatever you want with the Server Name box (name appears for you only)
---click the new server in your server list and click join
---Finally, have your friend repeat the above steps

And, Voila! you should be able to see and play multiplayer with each other! (keep in mind this is only for legitimately obtained Minecraft)
1 0

Why can't I use multiplayer? Unanswered Sonicswampert1
Multiplayer Server? Answered Link959
Pc/XBox multiplayer? Answered darkzacattack
What do i have to do in order to play on multiplayer? Answered saitaria
Multiplayer server issues? Answered frogger321123