Question from Skyrim1012

What is the best strategy for finding diamonds?

I have looked everywhere for diamonds but havent found one is there a seed for lots of diamonds or what?

TheApplePi answered:

My preferred way to mine is branch mining. Here is how I branch mine as this is what I think is the most efficient, and easiest to extend, feel free to copy and/or modify:
Equipment needed:
1 Diamond (preferably) or Iron Pickaxe w/ Fortune enchantment, I prefer using Fortune III
Lots of unenchanted picks
A ton of chests
Torches (this goes without saying)
Optional: a project that uses a lot of cobblestone
1. Dig main tunnel with floor at bedrock, and ceiling at level 15 (level 16 is over your head). Make the walls slanted, two blocks up, one to the side all the to the top of the main tunnel.
2. Start first shaft anywhere. Dig to half of how long your main corrador. What I do is make doors covering the mine shafts to contain infestations. What you're aiming for is a perfect square, or as prefect of one that can be made.*see footnote on why a square
3. Dig a tunnel leaving 3 blocks inbetween. The top of the middle block is the floor of the shaft above, the bottem block of the middle "unseen" row is the ceiling of the shaft below, so there is actually no blind spots with this method.
4. Stagger the branches so that the middle "unseen" row is the ceiling and floor of other branches, like this
|_|_|x|_|_|_|x|_|_|
|x|_|_|_|x|_|_|_|x|
|x|_|_|_|x|_|_|_|x|
|_|_|x|_|_|_|x|_|_|
|_|_|x|_|_|_|x|_|_| etc.

5. The end product will be a very efficent branch mine, hopefully lots of diamond. lots of redstone, iron, gold, and a heck of a load of cobblestone.

*I use squares over rectangles because squares have the lower perimetre to area ratio. Example: 100 sq. metre area can be done 10x10 (40 m perimeter, or 5x20 (50 m perimetre)

I'm not sure if anyone came up with this idea before me, but here it is.
Happy Mining, and Good Luck!
TheApplePi, 3/31/12
0 1

Answers

Nintendude128 answered:

Dig down to around y = 10, or anywhere below 16.
Make a 2x1 corridor. Every fourth block, make another one. Dig down two levels, skip two blocks and repeat for maximum diamond chances.
0 0

Haoshoku_Luffy answered:

He is right but there is another way.
Dig to Y: 17.4 (that means you are on level 16)
And turn your sound on and just make one long tunnel(2 high 1 width)
When you hear water try to find it, most underground lava sources are on level 15 so you stand right above them, and around lava mostly are caves and in caves are diamonds :)

Try them both if you want to.
0 0