Portal location help?

1. How come when I build a nether portal near my house and go to the nether and go back it teleports me in the desert or a underground stronghold?

User Info: DJ_Taco

DJ_Taco - 3 years ago
    Nintendude128's answer looks to be correct, just wanted to add that you want to build a new nether portal as close as possible to the calculated coordinates on the X and Z coordinates I believe.

Also at least on SMP it seems that the game will only generate a nether side portal the first time you travel into the nether and after that will default all incoming to the closest existing nether portal so you either have to build your own portals or getting a friend to shut off the existing portals in the nether before you try to travel into it may work.

User Info: firemike

firemike - 3 years ago

1. When you go to the nether, the game takes your 'Overworld' coordinates and divides them by 8 to get your 'Nether' coodinates. If it can't find an existing portal within a few dozen blocks of your Nether coords, it'll make you a new one as close as possible, while still being safe. Same thing happens when going back as well, except multiplying by eight. Chances are, your 'true' Nether coords happened to be inside a wall, or over a pool of lava, and where your portal spawned was far enough removed from them that the game couldn't find your Overworld portal when you went back.

You can fix this by dividing your overworld portal's coordinates by eight, and making another portal closer to there in the Nether. If it's close enough, you should be able to simply break the spare portals and enjoy your Nether.

User Info: Nintendude128

Nintendude128 (Expert) - 3 years ago 2 0

Answers

1. I tested som thing out were I put two portals in the over world one at my house another in a cave house very far away.
    Wen I came into the nether from my house, I placed a nother portal 100 blocks away and went through.
    I came back in my now called secret cave house. So it's a Riley good trick for hiding things

User Info: Magicwolf2

Magicwolf2 - 3 years ago 0 0
  2. Glitch or bug

User Info: dagamerbos1045

dagamerbos1045 - 3 years ago 0 0