Review by UnPhair

"Minecraft - So Many Possibilities."

Over one year ago, I saw Minecraft for the first time. What was it to me at that time, truly? An ugly game with ugly cubes and an ugly sky. Yet, not only my cousin, but countless enthusiastic LPers were having a ball with the game! I decided to give the game a shot, and finally bought it days before it left the Alpha stage.

Creativity

Some people think that, at its very core, Minecraft is a creative game. This is fine and dandy, because there is a whole game-mode for creativity. I won't get too into detail about how this game-mode functions, but essentially your character has access to all the blocks/items in the game, and you are free to build as you please without fear of dying.

The creative aspect of Minecraft shines in that there is so much to do - whether you want to make a Roman Colosseum, a functioning computer out of redstone, or a humble abode to spend the nights in - you can do it all. The wide array of blocks to choose from makes building a constantly fresh experience. This is probably the most cliche line to say in a review for game focused on building blocks, but the sky is the limit.

Score: 10/10

Survival

Other will say that Minecraft is a survival-based game at its very core, which is also a valid statement; there is a whole game-mode for survival. I am a fan of survival in the sense that it is a true challenge. Whether it's facing constant hordes of mobs during night-time, having your home blown up by a creeper, or starving to death right after excavating a cave, staying alive and retaining your items will always be a challenge.

However, survival is overwhelmingly just a precursor to creativity. It's truly just a matter of "do [x] monotonous task for an hour for enough resources to build your home". I'm not saying the survival aspect of the game is bad (because it is fairly enjoyable), but it needs to be coupled with the creative aspect of the game to feel complete. Playing this game just for the survival aspect will undoubtedly become boring after some time.

Score: 7.5/10

Multiplayer

This is where the game truly shines, in my eyes. There are online servers for all different whims and fancies, thanks to the Craftbukkit software that allows for server owners to modify their server however they please. The spectrum literally spans from servers based around warfare between groups of players (called "Factions") to servers where a community of players build freely together. Anything inbetween (and more) has been done, and are looking for you to join them. The possibilities for Multiplayer are so endless that you could spend a lifetime checking out popular servers and their neat aspects.

Score: 10/10

---

If you were me last October, I can tell you just one thing: buy this game. There is so much to do and so much to see in the world of Minecraft that you will be unable to stop playing this game.

Final Score: 9.2/10

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/21/11

Game Release: Minecraft (US, 11/18/11)