Question from stiivox

Esbern is stuck at his door, how can I get him free?

So when doing the 'A Cornered Rat' quest, I ran into a problem, I reached the room where Esbern is being hold, killed the chef and the deaf woman. Now when I talk with Esbern his dialogs get cut out, they are very short like a second or two, and he doesnt talk. I 'finish' the dialoge and he moves do the door, but doesnt open it, so I used TCL to go throught the door but still nothing. Can anyone help me?

From: yor9790 3 years ago

found it, I hope:
Quoted from ice fire on the gamefaqs boards
"
BUG: in the quest "The Cornered Rat" you'll find Esbern behind a closed door. When you interact with the door it will start a conversation with Esbern where he is ultimately suppose to open the door and let you in. The problem is that his dialog is bugged and his voice doesnt play causing his text to scroll past very quickly, then after the dialog, he doesn't open the door.

SOLUTION: In your install directory there is a file "\Data\Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa". You need to download the BSA Unpacker tool made for Morrowind. It will still work properly for the Skyrim BSA files. Use it ant extract the contents of that BSA to the same directory that the BSA file is. You'll end up extracting the files and they'll be placed in the directory "Data\sound\voice\skyrim.esm\maleuniqueesbern". After that, you're done. Just start the game up and try again."

bsa extractor D/L
www.morrowind-oblivion.com/download.php

I've got the exact same problem. I'm gonna look around the net and see if there is a fix/mistake that will get this going again. I'll post what i fine here for ya after making sure it works.

the D/L I posted above isnt the right BSA ezxtractor, this on is, just used it and it works the way it needs to to get the voice files out:

www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3117