Review by Zeronium

"Short but enjoyable"

A.R.E.S
Metroidish arcade platformer

A.R.E.S is basically a 2D game, but it has some 3D elements that add a nice tweak to the game. Graphics are just fine you can set maximum 1920 x 1080 resolution and the game looks pretty good that way. Other than that the game doesn't have that much graphics settings. Backgrounds are made well and they are 3D:ish, nice lighting effects and such. Could be better, but for a working and playable game. Graphics ain't all.

Gameplay is very solid. Weapons have an upgrade system which adds some more interest to the game. There are 3 type of materials you collect and use certain amount of each material to upgrade a weapon. There are achievements to gain and secrets to collect which add some time to the gameplay.

Bosses are quite annoying at least at first time cause you have NO idea what they will do next and where do you have to move. I kept dying several times while trying to figure out what to do. Though I'd say bosses are the most fun in this game and it's good that there are many of them.

This game has 2 difficulty settings, normal and hard and it's hard on default(which after reading it kinda sounded like normal to me..)normal doesn't have all secrets and such and bosses are easier. Hard has normal strength bosses and all secrets. If you play this game and want at least some challenge I recommend you play with the Hard setting.

Controls feel good you learn them in a second, but I was using an xbox 360 controller to play this and I don't know how the mouse + keyboard combination works in this game, but I'd recommend a controller for this kind of game.

To not spoil the story I keep it short. Some alien things, you are hero, save humanity. Not an original idea, but good thing story ain't important in this kind of game.

A minus side here though the game is relatively short, and I mean really short. It took me 1-2 hours to finish though I played nonstop, but overall short game. But if you want to collect all secrets & such and not to rush the game to the finish it may take hour or two more.

Sounds: 8/10

Sounds are ok, weapons sound nice. Some monsters sounded very much a like and few of the game's sounds were somewhat annoying to ears, but you'll manage.

A.R.E.S. - Extinction Agenda is overall a great game, but bit too short. After finishing this once I'm going to finish this at least another time since you can keep ALL your upgrades & weapons and such for the next time.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/21/11

Game Release: A.R.E.S. Extinction Agenda (US, 12/14/10)