Review by Dante_Meta

"An Older Game That Remains a Classic"

MechWarrior 3 is a game that came out a few years ago, I can't remember the exact date, due to my not being able to find the box. It's an impressive game that still finds some place for me, even today. It uses most of the keyboard and has a fairly large amount of Mechs to choose from. There are a few modes and customizable options.

The graphics aren't outstanding, especially considering the consoles that were just released. (PS3, 360) But I'm sure they were impressive for their time. The Mechs look alright, though kind of blurry when you look at the fine details. The backgrounds are kind of jagged when you look at the “Horizon.” But other than that they're fine. They're a lot better than some of the other games I've reviewed. I'll admit that it runs smoothly, even on my crappy computer. The movements and weapons flow nicely. And the addition of the weapons actually coming out of where you placed them is nice.

The sound in MechWarrior 3 can get repetitive, but not to the point of not being able to play. I don't recall there being much music, if any, but there are a lot of sounds going on at once. In the menu screens, you get your classic “Beep” whenever you scroll over something, etcetera, etcetera. Once you're actually playing, you can hear every move the Mech makes. From turning the cockpit, to running, to zooming in. It's a nice feature, and the weapons are corresponding. Though as said earlier, these weapon sounds can get quite repetitive, especially if you're in heated combat.

As I said in the introduction, MechWarrior 3 uses most of the keyboard and the mouse. But even then, it's quite simple. Most of the things you'll be using are on places you can remember. Z to zoom, left click to shoot, arrow keys to move. That kind of thing, the only problem I have is the fact that it's nigh impossible to aim, move, and shoot at the same time. Sure, you can use the number keys to set a speed, but you can't exactly turn. Luckily, you can customize the controls. There are a few modes, Instant Action being one of my favourite. It's just that, select your Mech, select your enemies, and begin fighting.

You can customize your Mechs in Instant Action, color, weapons, equipment, everything. Though there is a slight flaw to that, you can pretty much make your Mech a God by removing all weapons, replacing them all with the same type of weapon, and then choose “Group fire” once you're playing. This will use every weapon at once, so equip yourself with as many missiles launchers as possible, and you'll be indestructible. There's a campaign mode, which is also just that. Story mode, you fight the battles with select Mechs to move on. Finish objectives that may not always be fighting, the basic kind of stuff. Also, in Options, you have the options for Invincibility, No Heat, and Infinite Ammo. So it's nice to play around with those some times.

I can't say much about the story, as it's been a while since I played it. But I'll try to summarize from memory. You're however many years into the future, where a full-scale war is taking place. But it's no longer fought with soldiers, but with Mech Warriors. These are pretty much soldiers using huge Mechs to fight the battles. You play the role of one of these Mech Warriors, who's only goal is to kill the enemy and win the war. It's not exactly a complicated plot filled with a bunch of plot twists and brain teasers, but it's your generic plot. But what do you expect, I'm sure they were more focused on you playing the game, rather than understanding it.

Unlike with a lot of games, the replay value of this game is done pretty well. Sure, campaign mode may get a little old a little quick. But that's why there's multiplayer (Online) and Instant Action. In fact, I found myself playing Instant Action before campaign mode, when I first picked up this game. I haven't tested out the Online Play, so I can't say anything about that. I can say, however, that I became addicted to this game extremely fast.

Graphics: 6/10.
Sound: 6/10.
Gameplay: 8/10.
Story: 7/10.
Replay Value: 9/10.

Overall: 7/10.

MechWarrior 3 is an addicting and fun game. It will suck you in if you're a fan of large Mecha and warfare. It's a game that I would recommend to anyone, and I would say that it's better than the first two. MechWarrior 2 is also a good game, but that's another story. Anyways, not to get off topic, if you can find it, definite buy, it'll keep you playing for hours. I know I was.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 11/27/06