Review by HitmanX

"Too hard is not good."

Gameplay-The gameplay in Commandos is strategy and action based. It also feels like you are working a puzzle. If you do not know exactly when and where to move your soldiers, you will not complete the mission. This makes it very boring at times, because there is no room to do things your way. It is so hard at times I want to broke my keyboard over my knee. Anyone who has been frustrated with a game before knows it isn't enjoyable. The gameplay is mostly strategy. You have a team of soldiers that each have special skills, such as a sniper, a demolitions expert, and an aquatic expert. You must use each one in the perfect way to get to the next mission, where you are forced to go up in difficulty. I never got past mission 3 without cheats. The gameplay would be fun if it weren't for the difficulty level.

Sound-I think this is a good and bad area of the game. The music fits the mood quite nicely, and the sound effects are good as well. Then you get to the voices. Every time you click on your soldiers or give them commands, they say one of a few smart remarks that get very very annoying very fast. It is an option to turn the voices off, which is what saved me from throwing the game out the window. If you have a lot of patience, you might be able to handle it.

Control-Not many complaints here, but no compliments either. Commandos uses the same ol' point and click control scheme that almost all strategy games use. It works nicely in some areas, but in others it does not. You are often pressed for time in Commandos, and if you do not execute certain commands at the perfect moment you lose. In order to DO some of these commands, you must scroll to the bottom of the screen and select them. However, hotkeys are available, which is an easy fix for this problem. Aside from that minor error, the control is fine.

Graphics-This game is fairly old, so the graphics are not state of the art by any means. The animations are somewhat clunky, and the landscapes are blah as well. If you don't mind graphics in games, these will not bother you. They aren't bad by any means, but they aren't on par with Medal of Honor:Allied Assault or RTCW.

All in all, commandos is a good game for a lazy weekend. You most likely won't be obsesses with it or play it endlessly unless you are a nut for RTS games.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 03/05/02, Updated 03/05/02