Review by Zylo the wolf

"Well it's impossible for someone to like every kind of game."

Most people clicked on this review now hates me because I gave a PC classic like Fallout 2 such a low score, so lets start with making one thing clear right away. This is the first real PC RPG that I tried to get into, I'm used to how JRPGs like Final Fantasy are and I think we all agree that they are very different. I did try the first Fallout game for a couple of minutes back when it was first released, but I never managed to get in into it. Since Fallout 3 is one of the most popular games in this generation of games, I thought I should give the older games one more try since they are very different.

The Fallout games takes place in future where the whole world have been nuked after a long war and now the people who lives in this world has to survive. It's kinda similar to many other "after the end of the world" stories, which is one of the my favourites. Even if there wasn't much I liked about this game, I have to give it credit to the atmosphere. The world really feels like a future of our own world where everything has gone to hell just because humans had to keep fighting each other in wars. It's true what they say in the opening: "War never changes".

The first thing you have to do is to decide how your character should be. You can either pick one already created character or choose to create one yourself. This is one of the most important things that you'll do since your stats will decide how you'll beat the challenges that lies ahead of you. Personally I don't like this "create your character" thing, because you have no idea which skills that will be the most useful when you play the game for the first time and there are a lot to choose from.

When the game begins, we get to know that our hero is the chosen one who has to go through a temple full of....ants? And as soon as we faced the first enemy, we get to another thing that I actually hate in this game, the combat system. You have 8 points in each battle turn, and it costs 1 point to move to one square on the battlefield. When you are close enough to attack an enemy, you have to use 3 points to perform one attack. When you can't use anymore points, it's the enemies turn to attack and you just have to wait and hope that you survived their attack. This battlesystem is really slow and can also get very annoying since your hero will miss a lot of his attacks, but still lose his battle points. It took me a few tries just to get to the boss of the first dungeon.

What was interesting is that this game is kinda like a Dungeons and Dragons game, so it's besides from fighting it's also just as important to be able to talk with the different people in the game. I think I managed to convince what was supposed to be a boss to not fight me since I had enough charisma. Other people will also act differently depending on what sex you choose, what you current status is and those kind of things. If you have ever played a table top RPG, then Fallout 2 (and I guess a lot of other WRPGs) will feel like you are playing one alone and the game is the "Dungeon Master".

The second problem I had with this game was that it's not linear at all. I could reach most of the places in the game already in the beginning but I could almost never figure out what I should do to advance in the game. I loved to explore each town that I found on the world map but I also felt really silly because I could never figure out what to do in the city. Maybe there are different paths you can take which leads to different quests, but I never really understood if I had was supposed to be in the place I just reach or if I should come back later or what. It just made me confused and prevented me from enjoying the game.

And that's the main problem I had with Fallout 2, I never had any fun when I played it. The combat system was slow and boring, for most of the time I wondered if the game would be more fun if I had made my character a bit different and I could never figure out where I was supposed to go. But once again I have to say that the atmosphere is great in this game and I can see why others love it, it's just isn't my cup of tea. So for all of you who loves this game, you are all still going to love it after this review anyway so thank you for reading my opinion on this game.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 09/02/11

Game Release: Fallout 2 (EU, 12/31/99)