Review by miyaa999

"Too many good pieces does not make a great game."

If I have to say there is one problem I have with Dishonored, it is it tries too be too much for its own good. Basically this is Batman plus Assassin's Creed with a little bit of Cthulu put in. You basically play the story of Corvo, the Lord Protector of the Empress Jessamine, who is framed for murder of the Empress and kidnapping of Emily, Jessamine's daughter. What I'm telling you isn't spoilers, you find all of this out in the first ten minutes of the game. The two main villains, Hiram Burrows (Lord Regent and former Spymaster) and Thaddeus Campbell (High Overseer), decide to kill her because she's too compassionate against this rat's disease that plagues pseudo-Victorian London.

Complicating the matters, Corvo meets with a demi-god known as the Outsider, who gives him some mysterious skills that he could expand as he picks up trinkets and relics. And so you have a game, with fancy and elaborate graphics and skill sets that akin to both Batman and Assassin's Creed with the morality of neither.

You want to go on a silent murderous rampage like in Assassin's Creed? You can do that. You want to sneak around with skills and abilities like Batman? You can do that as well. It is very opened ended. It is a very good game technically speaking, but there is where I have a problem.

One of the problems with an open ended world with near unlimited powers is that you end up having over-the top characters with over-the-top villains so that you end up with anything that remotely feel likes a challenge. The plot itself seems extremely predictable and you'll guess the twists and turns miles before the game hints at what might happen. But the game never seemed to grab me.

This includes the magical abilities that include elements taken from other games, like Dark Vision, which is sort of like Batman's Detective Skills and Blinking, a kind of teleportation power which Assassin's Creed uses. Bone charms give you smaller abilities that last for a long while, like toughing skin or breathing underwater. But you don't have to use any of this to get around and either render people unconscious or simply kill them outright.

The strongest part of the game is the graphics and voice acting. Professional actors were hired to play the roles, and graphics are thrilling. Even the sewers in this Victorian era seem creepy, yet quite posh. What's also interesting is this alternative world really has a feel of a completely different place. The dogs sort of look like dogs, and yet do not. The ornate nobles and upper class areas quite ornate. It's clear the writers and programmers did their homework.

I think what hurts it is that none these elements integrate well together, and that's a shame. And where there are weak points, like the plot, it really stands out. So I think while the elements of Dishonored are something to marvel and emulate, I just don't think the combination plays out well. It needed a lot of "tightening up."

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 10/10/12, Updated 10/15/12

Game Release: Dishonored (US, 10/08/12)