Review by barbzilla

"Engaging and Gripping gameplay with an ageing graphics engine."

I really enjoyed my time with this game, and I hope my review helps you to decide if this is the game for you. This is one of the few games that I have been able to play without a break. I don't mean a physical break, but a game break. I usually sit down at a game one or two times until I have to switch games. Dishonored managed to make me feel like a part of the world and that goes a very long way towards engaging both my mind and my controller.

As with most games that you might play, the first aspect you will notice is the graphics engine. Dishonored is built on the Unreal 3 engine. Even though the U3 engine is only 5 years old, it is beginning to show signs of age. There are artifacts and textures that look as though they just stepped out of Borderlands 1. The shadows, however, were done quite well.

The second attribute you would be interested in would be the story. Once again I don't feel as though Dishonored reached its full potential. Given that the Lead Designer from Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is once again at the helm, I had very high expectations. What I was met with though didn't let me down. The story-line is engrossing and keeps you captivated, while the dialog (and flavor art) manage to keep you feeling as though you are part of the world

Rounding the review out, we arrive at Game-play. That ever important element that determines if you will enjoy the game or not. I was absolutely captivated by the game-play in Dishonored. I made a few minor tweaks to the control scheme and dove right into the game. The sheer number of choices available to you are mind boggling. There is no reason to build yourself as the "stealth guy", "The Charismatic Character", or "The Mindless Assassin" as the game gives you realistic options that will utilize any skills you decide to buy. If you wanted to, you could go through the game with no kills "Dues Ex" style.

My overall view of the game is amazing. I feel as though I will be playing this game at least 3 more times to explore the possibilities. If a game like "Thief: Deadly Shadows" blended with "Dues Ex" and had a child with "Dark Messiah of Might and Magic" sounds like your cup of tea, then by all means pick this game up today.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/11/12

Game Release: Dishonored (US, 10/09/12)